Chapter 4 - WEAPONS TRAINING

June 20

Evergreen Gun Range

Happy Trails

0900 hours

Erica ran a hand over her face as I emptied the magazine of a pistol into the torso-sized target 10 yards away. There was only one bullet hole visible in it.

"Ok, first off, your stance is the worst I've ever seen," she said.

"Gee, thanks Erica."

"You were turned almost 90 degrees from the target like you were shooting a bow. Put your feet shoulder-width apart and square up to where you're aiming." I did as she ordered. "Second, extend your arms more. You look like you're trying to box someone while you're shooting." Again, I did as she ordered. "Third, hold the gun like this." She demonstrated the proper grip on her own handgun and watched me copy her. "And hold the gun more firmly. It looked like it was about to recoil out of your hands when you were firing it."

She handed me a fresh magazine and indicated that I should try again. I racked the first round and began firing. When the slide locked back this time, there were no new holes in the target. Erica buried her face in her hands again. Without giving me any more pointers, she gave me another mag.

She seemed to hesitate before speaking again. "Ben, if you can hit the target with at least 9 of the 17 rounds in that magazine, I'll give you a hug."

My heart started beating wildly. "Right now?" I asked. Erica had bargained with me this way once before, back when I was new to spy school. She had ended up fulfilling our deal months later because I had failed to negotiate exactly when she would hug me.

Erica sighed. "Yes, right now."

That was all I needed to hear. I dumped the magazine as quickly as I could, and when the gun ran empty, there were 17 new holes in the target. "Wahooo!" I exclaimed. I turned to find Erica's mouth hanging open. Slowly, a smile formed on her face. I set the gun down and walked over to her. I suspected that she might go back on her word, but she wrapped her arms around me tightly. I returned the embrace, which we held for what felt like hours. Her intoxicating aroma of lilacs and gunpowder overwhelmed me. When we separated, I was on cloud nine, almost shaking with glee. Erica was blushing.

"I guess when I need you to shoot straight, I should just promise to give you a hug," she said.

"Works for me," I replied, grinning from ear to ear.

Suddenly, Erica's phone buzzed, ruining the moment. I was immediately concerned, because only a handful of people had her number. And only for emergencies. Erica pulled her phone out and quickly read the message, her eyes growing wide.

"What is it?" I asked, worried. Erica seemed like she was debating whether to tell me or not. She eventually gave in.

"Murray escaped," she said flatly. 

I was so surprised, I stopped breathing, going into a daze.

"Earth to Ben," Erica said, snapping her fingers in my face. "Hello? Anybody home?"

I blinked a few times. "How?" I asked once I'd recovered.

"No idea. But if Murray isn't in prison, he's up to no good."

I sighed. "I have a feeling we're not going to stay here at camp for much longer."

Erica smiled. "That's fine with me. I was getting tired of sleeping in that crummy old tent anyways."