( 1 ) detective eru is on the case !

Feb 11

꒰ Eru's POV꒱

I've noticed something very, very, very worrying lately concerning my work .

My assignments have all been so very dull ! I received a job to find someone's lost dog, which was actually quite enjoyable since it seemed to like me, but thats not the point ! Another time, I was told to search for a lost balloon... a balloon ?! Then, I was made to search for a shoplifter ! Although, thats certainly the most eventful of the three... my point being, this is a serious matter !

Could it be that they dont trust me with more complex jobs anymore !? If thats the case then, what did I do ??! Maybe it was when I failed to capture that pickpocket- wait, no no no that couldnt be it, Mayaka was with me then and we captured him successfully ! Perhaps I'm simply overthinking this in an effort to explain why the jobs I've been given now have been so pointless seeming...

A detective should not be made to go forth and solve trivial matters !!! ... Is what I'd say if I was talking professionally . Those jobs were fun, I enjoyed them ! I'm just so curious as to why I've stopped receiving jobs that request that I search crime scenes( although I dont enjoy the topic of death ) or even catching culprits ! Its eating me up inside, I just have to kno-...

"... Eru ?" A voice lightly called out to me, I must have been so deep in thought that I forgot that I was with-

"You okay ? You're spacing out a bit . What, did another curious phenomenon catch your attention ?" The voice teased with a smile on their face, "Huh ? Oh, no no I'm sorry, Mayaka ! I got lost in thought, my apologies if you were talking ." I had a feeling my apology would go overlooked by her, which I was correct . 

"You dont have anything to apologize for, Chi ! I wasn't talking about anything important anyway ." She waved her hands as if dismissing what I said, and I guess she was right . If it really were an important matter, she would have woken me from my daydream much sooner . 

We were together on a friendship outing around the city, we havent had time to ourselves like this for a little while so it's nice ! Perhaps that's why I felt so bad when I spaced out while Mayaka was talking, I'm supposed to be enjoying the present moment with her, not thinking about things that dont matter.. in the moment, at least..

I look at all the stores around us, so many pretty jewelry sets and outfits set up in the windows ! The scent of delicious foods wafting through the air, the cool weather, and the sky as it sits on the brink of sunset, so very beautiful ! I'm glad me and Mayaka were able to have this outing together, like living as normal mundane civilians with no responsibilities !

As we passed by a few shops, I noticed something peaking out of the corner of my eye that piqued my curiosity, "Hey, Mayaka, look over there !" I pointed to a small shop filled with chocolates . They were all decorated in the most unique way possible, some were shaped as little animals, and others that seemed more like cakes than chocolates !

"Woah ! Those look amazing ! Oh, speaking of... do you have anyone you'd want to give chocolates to this year ?" Mayaka looked at me with a mischievous smile, as if she knew something . To be honest, I haven't been interested in romance for a very long time .

The last time I really had feelings for someone was all the way back in my first year of highschool, and since then I've been too busy to care for things like that . Although, I admit, It'd be nice to have someone to share chocolates with .

"Oh, ah... Mayaka, you know my family doesn't prepare special gifts for Valentine's Day, even if I did there's no one in mind who I'd want to give chocolates to ." She looked a little disappointed, but she got over it within just a second .

"Whoops ! Sorry, I completely forgot about that ! Well, since neither of us have anyone in mind, how about we just get chocolates for eachother today !" The way she spoke and the bright look on her face made it difficult to decline, and it was evident that she simply wanted us both to enjoy the feeling of having a valentine without truly having one, I admire how caring she is .

Excitedly, I agreed . To be honest, I was craving something sweet for a little while now so this satisfies my temptations . Once we entered the store, Mayaka turned to me, "Chi ! Say, why dont we shop separately so it really is like a surprise ! It may seem small here, but if we look on opposite sides we should be fine" I thought about it, and decided almost immediately that it was a good idea !

Mayaka rushed off to the right side of the small chocolate shop, while I to the left . My eyes wandered and.. so far, nothing seemed to be good enough for a gift . There were the regularly packaged valentine's chocolates, chocolates that were only decorated slightly, and...

Oh ! The perfect chocolate ! Heart shaped, medium in size, "Happy Valentine's Day" written neatly, and a drizzle of white frosting on the corners, Mayaka would love this ! I take the chocolate gently in my hands and hold it securely enough to ensure it doesnt fall before I can get it to the cashier .

I'm unsure whether or not Mayaka's done yet, but.. I should still be able to purchase before her, it would take up less time in the long run .

The line isn't too long so I'm able to purchase quickly and by the time I'm complete, I can see Mayaka still searching . I don't want to go up to her, otherwise that'd ruin the whole of point of us separating ! I decided to stand near the door and wait until she was finished, she's quite meticulous when she needs to be, it's nice to know she's putting in so much effort just for me to have a gift-

*Ring ! Ring !*

My phone suddenly rang, which startled me a little since I wasn't expecting anyone to call today . As I take my phone out of my pocket, the screen lights up with a name I didn't think I'd be seeing on today of all days . Nevertheless, I answer my phone quickly to ensure she doesn't have to wait .

"Eru, hello ." A voice said as soon as I answered . I stifled the surprise I had from her call and answered as professionally as possible, "Hello, Irisu . What reason are you calling me for ?" The answer was obvious already, the reason for her call was work, I could tell from the moment she spoke that this had to do with it .

"Apologies for intruding on your day, however there's something I really need your assistance on . Perhaps, even Mayaka as well ." By the tone of her voice, I knew she meant business . Maybe it was another pickpocket, or a crime scene investigation, or- wait, no no no, I'm getting distracted .. !

"It's no problem, what would the case be ?" My curiosity was already prevalent, although I tried not to voice it as this was a professional call . Through the phone, I could hear the sound of paper rustling and keyboard typing, and then I heard her voice once again, "Forgive me for dropping this on you so suddenly, however I feel I dont have much of a choice . I am unable to complete this case myself as I am already busy with another, so I require your assistance in a very particular case ."

It felt as though she was making it clear how important this was before even stating what it was to be sure I was ready to hear it . She does this often, yet this time it feels like she truly is trying to prepare me for what she'll say following this indirect warning of hers .

"Alright, please tell me what it is and I'll be on it as soon as I can be ."

"I would like to request for your help, and possibly Mayaka's as well, in catching the two notoriously known phantom thieves ."

꒰ ch. 1 - END