Chapter 24

To pretend she didn't know anything about Johann and his involvement with her father and his underlings made her uneasy. She was forced to sit out on investigation by order of the Commander for being way too close to the case. She didn't like it, not one fucking bit.

She didn't fault Levi for handing in the report to Erwin; he, after all, he was just doing his job as a captain. Though, she'd be lying if she said she didn't grow a slight annoyance at this boundary...as selfish as it sounded. It made her second guess this relationship having been only at the early stages of this intimate relationship.

She pushed herself to move faster to physically catch up with the speed of her thoughts sprinting through her mind with Levi in the dead center of it.

Maybe you'd be better off as friends. Romantic relationships in a work setting—especially one of a superior and their subordinate—never end well, the annoying, pestering voice in her head whispered to her, its taunting claws digging into her neck in a suffocating chokehold.

"Tch," she, in pure frustration, punched the bag.

Your sufferance is the only outcome in this disastrous intimate relationship.

Her knuckles met the rough material of the bag once more.

Give up, Y/N. You know love is nothing more than distraction.

Her blood boiled. She was dangerous to herself when left alone with her own debilitating thoughts.

Kill it before it kills you. 

"Aargh!" she groaned, feeling the stinging sensation of her roughed up knuckles. They were red and sore, trembling from the beating she gave to the bag.

"You done?" A deep male voice asked. She looked up, meeting the greys that she both loved and loathed.

"Maybe."

"It's 4am, why aren't you asleep?"

"I'm not sleepy; neither are you, I presume."

"Clearly." Levi pushed off the wall, shutting the door to the training room. He walked up to her taking her heated hands into his. "What's wrong?"

She felt his calloused fingers run over the raw skin on her knuckles. He's so gentle... Her heart thundered. So lov—Stop. She pulled her hands back. "Nothing."

Levi rolled his eyes. "You expect me to believe that?"

"Yes?"

He let out a hearty laugh. "Do I look like an idiot, Y/N?"

She averted her eyes, looking down at her feet. "No..."

Levi wrapped his hand around herwaist pulling her closer to him, the other lightly tilting her chin up. "Something's bothering you; talk to me, Y/N."

She sighed. "I'm frustrated."

"I can think of many other ways to curb that frustration of yours...you don't have to take it out on the innocent punching bags."

He brought a smile to her lips. Y/N slapped his chest lightly earning a chuckle from him. "But seriously, what's frustrating you?"

Y/N sighed. "Everything. My endless family drama; the two mute prisoners; how everyone is so relaxed while my father is declaring war on us; and us."

"Us?"

"Yeah, you and me. Do I have to spell it out for you."

"What's so frustrating about us ?” Levi asked as she pulled away from his embrace, her arms instinctively wrapped around her like a wall.