we're going to california

It was early when April arrived back at the Hoover house for their departure

It was early when April arrived back at the Hoover house for their departure. It was that time of morning right before sunrise when the sky looks blue and there is a dewiness in the air. She stood awkwardly outside the bright yellow bus as Richard attempted to cram everyones bags into the trunk and Sheryl ran in and out of the house yelling at everyone to leave.

Sheryl: DWAYNE! OLIVE! GET IN THE CAR!

Olive came running out of the house and gave April a huge hug.

Olive: EEEEKKK!! I'm so excited!!!

April smiles

April: I know you're going to do great

Just then Dwayne exits the house. It appears he has decided to match the bus today and is wearing a bright yellow shirt that reads, "Jesus was wrong." April giggles at the text then looks up at Dwayne, who's making a confused expression at her. Oh god, I hope he doesn't think I'm laughing at him, April thinks. She blurts out, "I like your shirt." Dwayne smirks and nods, acknowledging her complement.  His cheeks flush with pink as he passes her and takes a seat in the very back of the car. Ten minutes later and everyone has loaded into the VW. "Kids in the back," Olive sits between the teenagers to ease the awkwardness. Frank and Grandpa Edwin sit in the middle row. They seem displeased with their seating arrangement. But finally they set out on the open road.

 But finally they set out on the open road

It had been hours at this point. Of staring out the window at desert, or the odd mountain. Most of the adults were fighting to stay awake. In the back Dwayne read, Olive listened to her music, and April took this as an opportunity to paint her nails. She applied the bright red polish carefully, making sure not to let bumps in the road wreck her perfect manicure.

"um April? do you think that maybe you could do mine next?" Olive shyly asked.

"Of course I can!" April responded, "I actually just finished." She pulls a little pink bag out from her backpack, "Which color would you like?"

Once Olives nails were done she screamed in excitement at her glittery blue polish, jolting everyone in the car out of their drowsy state. Olive starts poking Dwayne to show him. He smiles and nods.