𝟬𝟭. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝗹𝗱𝗲𝗻 𝗴𝗼𝗹𝗱𝗮𝗶𝗿𝗲𝘀

𝕭𝖗𝖎𝖉𝖌𝖊𝖗𝖙𝖔𝖓

𝟏𝐱𝟎𝟏

♔ ♡

i

i. the golden goldaires

𝔗𝔥𝔢 vibrant, gold rays of the sun cast a soft glow over the manor. Birds chirped flying in the newly lit sky. White clouds hung overhead. The reds, pinks, yellows, and blues of the sprouting tulips made the saturated green lawn shine like a rainbow. The sun sends a cascade of light running amongst wooden floors as curtains were freshly opened. A quiet clattering of shoes and hushed whispers brought life to the long halls of the once sleeping manor. Bustling about to tend to their duties, the maids and servants prepped everyone and themselves for many long days that now inevitably lay ahead.

Once more debutante season has arrived. A large burden on the shoulders of high-society London. The summer months would now be busy with promenades and parties. Nights would end late with balls and dancing. There would be countless engagements and weddings to attend and plan. Until the early days of September, those who participate in London's highest of society would attain no rest.

Cecily Goldaire refused to accept such a fate. With a large duvet tossed over her body, she pressed her face harshly into the plush, feather pillow. She would not welcome the morning's sun with a smile. Debutante season would not disturb her slumber for which she so much enjoyed.

"M'lady, you must wake," she heard the heavy curtains in her room open and hooked back to allow the warmth of the sun to coat her bed. "Lady Cecily, I beg you."

Throwing the heavy covers from over her head, Cecily sat up straight, her long hair falling in dark waves over her shoulder, "Why?" she stared hard at her maid standing before the tall window in her room. "This is not my debut into marriage society," she continued to plead her case. "Why must I have to participate if it is my sister, not I, who is debuting this season?"

It was at the young age of twelve that Adelaide Clemons became Cecily Goldaire's maid. A lady's maid. She was but a year older than Cecily at the time. Though the job had always been known to be hers once she came of age to be a proper maid. She'd been Cecily's closest friend while growing together in the many homes of the Goldaires. And now, ten years later, nothing had changed, except somehow Cecily had become more headstrong and resilient. Which made Adelaide's job much harder than when they were both kids.