2. Good news or Bad news?

This morning wasn't as pleasant as every morning. It could be today that they would loose a member in their family or the departure may take place tomorrow. For everyone a new day begins with hope of good things to come but here, the hope was of not receiving the bad news.

Ahaan came back to Sudha's room to find her sleeping on Ishqi's lap and Ishqi sleeping while sitting on the bed and head leaned to the headrest. He caressed the hair of both these women and went out to make a few professional and personal calls.

After about an hour, Ishqi woke up and found her neck to be stiffened, but she least cared about it and started observing the serene face that was lying on her lap. Those cute cheeks which she used to pull were missing. Those fingers which she held while growing up were now affixed with many machines to detect pulse, bp and what not. She was unable to come out of her parents' death that her Maasa died. Once she felt to have gained confidence, family, career and assumed to be her happily ever after, her Maasi was diagnosed with cancer. Maasi is always said to be alike mother but in Ishqi's case, her Maasi was something more than her mother. Every small thing she had in her life was because of her Maasi. The only person in the world who loved  Ishqi unconditionally was her and now, when she knew that in a very few hours or days she would depart from her life, it was nearly impossible not to break down or be emotionally vulnerable.

She was immersed in her memories with her Maasi that Ahaan entered the room with a tray in his hand. He was followed by his parents and grandmother. Ishqi tried putting Maasi to sleep well on the pillow while Ahaan helped her. The Malhotras smiled sleepishly at Ishqi. She smiled akwardly and went to her room to freshen up while they tried talking to the half awake Sudha. Ahaan followed Ishqi sensing her discomfort.

"Ishqi, tu theek haina? Tu theek nahi lag rahi thi toh...", he expressed barging in her room.

"Good morning Ahaan. Kuch nahi hai. Vo raat bhar baithi thi toh gardan akad gayi hai bass. Thik ho jaayega. Tu tension mat le. Main abhi fresh hokar aati hun. Uncle, aunty sab aaye hue hain toh... Chal chod, tune breakfast ki?? Main tere liye kuch bana dun kya", she spoke trying to stop her tears from exiting her eyes.

He came closer to her and hugged her to which she immediately reciprocated and now, the tears not only came near her cheeks, but a few drops got absorbed in his light blue t-shirt. She cried her heart out expressing her displeasure of losing one last person in her life who loved her. He acted a bit offended by her statement as he actually loved her more than anything and she couldn't deny it. Yet he understood her vulnerability and realised he was the only person now who could console her. After a few minutes of crying, Ishqi went to the washroom while Ahaan headed back to the room where Sudha lied lifelessly. It wasn't easy for the Malhotras to see her that way. She was always a strong women.

Sudha saw the wet patches on Ahaan's shirt and it took no time for her to realise that it's her daughter's tears. She knew Ahaan and Ishqi loved and cared for each other but she also knew that her jhalli and carefree daughter hasn't realised it yet. It was her dream to see her daughter getting married and now she knew that Ahaan is the one for her. Unable to express it, she just smiled knowing he would always be there for her. Yet, she wanted to atleast see them getting engaged. For her, it was her responsibility to speak to the groom's family and now having them infront of her eyes, she couldn't wait.

She held Savitri's hand tightly with one of her hands and she understood that Sudha wanted to say something.

"Aap kyun bolne ke liye itna stress le rahi hain? Aap aaram kijiye. Ek baar theek ho jaayenge toh ghanton tak gappe maar sakte hain", Savitri spoke with teary eyes as Sudha was one of her best friends and now she was unable to even speak to the person she spoke for hours.

"Sss... Sav... Savitri ji, m.. meri Ishhqiii ko..", Sudha spoke huffing while she was cut by Savitri.

"Ishqi ke liye hum sab hain. Vo hamari ghar ki bhi bacchi hai. Aap uski chinta bilkul mat kijiye. Aap filhaal thik ho jaayiye", Savitri spoke.

"Haan. Ishqi ki zimmedari meri. Tum thik ho jao Sudha. Hum sab dekh lenge", Durga Devi said caressing her hair.

"Mmmeri Ishhhhqiiii kooo bahhuuuu bannnnaaa lloo Saav.. Saavitri", Sudha said shocking Savitri, Durga Devi and Veer Malhotra and Ishqaan who stood at the door.

"Sudha.... Yeh aap", Savitri spoke but by then Ishqi rushed and took her Maasi's hands into hers.

"Maasi, yeh aap kya keh rahe hain? Main aur Ahaan toh bachpan ke friends hain bass. Aap yeh sab bolkar Savitri aunty ko fix mein kyun daal rahi hain? Main toh unki beti jaisi hi hun. Sonu aur Karthik bhi mujhe apne bff hi maante hain. Yeh rishta jodkar sab change ho jaayega. Auur abhi meri umar hi kya hai Maasi? Main toh abhi abhi 24 ki hui hun aur toh aur Ahaan bhi abhi bass 26 ka hai. Yeh time thodi hai shaadi karne ka. Hame toh aur maze karne hain life mein as bestfriends, kyun Ahaan", Ishqi spoke as tears brimmed in her eyes too due to helplessness and embarrassment.

"Ishqi beta, Sudha toh tumhe bass settled dekhna chahti hai. Aur kuch nahi. Isiliye usne aisa bola. Tumhe embarrass hone ki zarurat nahi hai puttar. Yahan toh sirf hum sab hi hain. Chal yeh aansu poch le.", Durga Dadi said holding her chin.

Ishqi immediately left the room wiping her tears. She smiled with embarrassment when she collided with Ahaan at the door. She got into the thought of marrying Ahaan involuntarily and felt betraying their friendship with such thoughts. Soon, after lunch, Malhotras left to their house and Ahaan to office leaving Ishqi and Maasi alone. Unable to control her thoughts, she thought spending time with Maasi could brush them off.

"Maasi, aap paani peeyengi? Aapka gala sookh raha hogana?", She poured a little amount of water in the cap of a bottle and started feeding Maasi.

"Isshhqqii, shaadddii kaarrr llee, bbeta Aah..aa.. Ahaan se", Maasi said as Ishqi kept the bottle on the side table.

"Maasi, aapko achanak meri shaadi ki soch kahan se aayi? Aur aayi bhi toh Ahaan ke liye? Vo mera bestfriend hai. Childhood vaala. Haan, main maanti hun ki vo mera bahut acche se khayal rakhta hai, sab kuch toh vahi sambhal raha hai abhi. Par agar main usse kahungi ki vo mujhse shaadi kar le, toh main selfish nahi ho jaaungi kya? Main usse shaadi vaala pyaar bhi nahi karti. Aap please aisa mat bolo na", Ishqi tried to make Maasi understand but Maasi was hell bent on getting Ishqaan married.

"Mm.. meri.. aakh..ri icc..ha hai G..olu. Shhaaddi krr le", Maasi said and this put Ishqi in a fix now.

No doubt she loved Ahaan. Although she was yet to realise it, it would be selfish of her to get married to him after knowing that she would remain alone. If she had fallen for him from the beginning,then things would turn out different but now it will definitely seem selfish rather people would say that. She didn't want to get married to him. What if he loved someone else? What if there was another girl in his life? All these questions raised in her head but then, it was her Maasi's last wish which she asking on her death bed. How can she deny her Maasi either? Is it time for the good news of the wedding or a bad news of death!!

✨✨✨

Ta-da!!
Long time, but the connection to this story seems lost 🤧. This chapter is for those who dm me after every chapter and even do in line comments to motivate me. I have come to edit this and republish after someone voted to the previous chapter. Now, because I'm trying to complete all my books within next three months, I'll keep on updating once the target is complete.

Target : 65 votes

Easy target isn't it??

✨✨✨