1- Strangers... again

???'s pov

"Theo!"

Her words from the other day, still ringing in my ears.
She stopped visiting. It worked.
I'd never thought I would have to do it, but it was for the best.
She deserves better, and certainly not to be gossiped about with a mere commoner like me.
She is a Bridgerton.
Unlike me, she is basically royalty.
She shouldn't be seen with the likes of me...

"Mr Sharpe!"
I heard a faint voice.
"Mr Sharpe!"

I looked up, shaking my head to snap out of the daze.
"Oh, my apologies, Mr Wilson. I... was just a little distracted by something of no importance. What were you saying again?"
"...Mr Sharpe, are you sure you're alright? You have been quite distracted this past days."
Mr Wilson Smith said, sighing.

"...Is it about a lady?"
Mr Smith smirked slightly, while taking a sheet of paper from the huge stack and printing on it.
"U-uh, well, its...complicated..."
I felt myself blushing, as my face heated up.

"It's alright, you may tell me about it if you wish."
He smiled warmly, gently placing the printed piece of paper onto a pile.
"W-well, okay then."
I paused, looking down.
"I met a lady. She- She was funny and extremely beautiful. She had a smile as warm as the sun and was very well-read."
"You know, that reminds me of when I met my wife, Mary. Young man, I think you're in love."
I smiled slightly, thinking about how perfect she was.
"What, no! I can't and I'm not! She doesn't deserve someone like me..."
My voice faded off as my eyebrows furrowed.
"Why not? Is she not from... town?"
I glanced down, my hands now working faster than ever, arranging the papers.
"She...is not. She's from somewhere else. "
My hands came across a paper by Lady Whistledown. The writer that had likely ruined our... relationship.
Though I can't blame it on her fully, as, I am sure Elo- Miss Bridgerton would not have wanted any sort of relation to me anyway.

"Poor lad, you look heartbroken. But it's alright. You'll find other ladies...in town that are pretty and evantually, you will forget about her. You are still young and charming, unlike me and you have many other chances to be with other ladies, so do not worry, Mr Sharpe."
"Thanks, Mr Smith."
But they won't ever be as perfect as her... They won't be her...

Eloise's pov

Achoo!
Is someone talking about me? Or was it just a cold...?

Whatever, anyway, I could not care less.

It had been lonely without... Theo.
I had convinced myself that I didn't need him...
But my heart said otherwise...

I still wasn't sure what I should do about Lady Whistledown's identity.

Thus, I sat in my room, reading all day, refusing to leave the room even when asked to.

Knock knock!

Who is it? Another caller? Ugh.

"Eloise! Come down please! A printer's assistant is saying he needs to find you!"
Hearing that, my ears instantly pricked up at the mention of the said person.

I went down slowly as a conversation could be heard.
"Oh, Mr ..., was it? Eloise certainly takes a long time."
My mother let out a forced laugh.

"Mother, what is it? Please hurry, I'm in the middle of my book!"
I said, groaning, the book still clutched in my hand.

"Oh, Eloise, behave yourself. Mr Sharpe, I am so sorry about my daughter, she really takes her time."
She half-whispered the first sentence.
I looked up.
Wait, Mr Sharpe? Printer's assistant?
A tall, familiar gentleman glanced back at me.
"Miss Bridgerton, I have heard of your liking in books and women's rights, so I have come to offer some books on women's rights to you."
I looked at my mother, who was smiling back at him, glimpsing at the title of the book, Her Mind and Her Rights, handing the book to me.
"Eloise, I know that you are interested in these books, so when Mr Sharpe offered, I did not decline."
I did not mind at all about the reason she did not decline and whatnot, but more importantly, why he was here, in the first place.

"So, did this book pique your interest at all, Miss Bridgerton?"
I put out a fake smile, closing the book with a loud thump.
"Yes, this book is rather... interesting."
"Oh, is that so? I'm glad you found it to your liking."
We acted like we were strangers, mere people who, by coincidence, met.
"Why? Eloise, is there something wrong?"
My mother asked, seeing the dissatisfaction written all over my face.
"Hm, no. I-It's nothing at all. Well, Mr Sharpe, if there is nothing else, you may leave."
"Eloise! That is not a proper way to talk to people!"
My mother said, turning back to him.
"Please excuse my daughter. She is..., well, rather rude. But no worries, it's not just to you, she does that to everyone."
Like I can't hear you, Mother.
I rolled my eyes.
"Oh, no worries. I'm used to this. After all, I'm... just a printer's assistant from town. Have a great day, Mrs Bridgerton."
He paused.
"Miss Bridgerton."
He took his hat off, bowing gracefully and left.

I felt a pang of guilt hit me hard.

"Eloise! That was rude of you. Especially after that young man offered a book to lend you."
I sighed.
Why did he only come now? And to pretend we were strangers...
Maybe... if I was fast enough I could catch up to him!

I ran out the door, chasing after Theo.

"Eloise! Come back!"
I could tell Mother was trying not to shout so loud, as to not get embarrassed.

I caught up to him, putting a hand on his shoulder.
"Mr Sharpe."
I said, breathing heavily.
"Yes, Miss Bridgerton? Is there... anything else you need?"

To be continued...