Chapter Three

Howard University's campus consisted of a combination of both classic and modern-looking tall, brick structures. Both Destiny's classes and the Hilltop newsroom were located in an area referred to as "Main Campus, Section 2." The buildings in this area had classic styles of architecture, sporting tall, white column posts at their entrances.

    The School of Communications for Howard University offered multiple concentration options, but her concentration was in Media, Journalism, and Film. She found it incredibly difficult to focus on her classes, no matter how hard she tried. Try as she might, her gaze continued to drift towards the window at her left. She was plagued by daydreams of a certain young entrepreneur

    She somehow managed to make it through her two classes for the day. After her classes were finished, she headed to the newsroom for The Hilltop, the school newspaper. The newsroom was located on the upper level of the building.

    Enter any newsroom in your choice of a major city in the United States, and you would most likely see chaos. College newspapers didn't have that same frenzied chaos that mainstream news had, with the exception of today. Destiny's fellow writers and editors were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Everyone was talking.

    With an expression of worry on her face, Destiny walked through the room and stopped at the desk designated as her own. She set her purse on top of her desk, glancing over her shoulder.

    An attractive, dark-skinned girl wearing wire-framed glasses walked past Destiny's desk with a stack of papers in her hands.

    Destiny reached out and grabbed her arm. "Jasmine...what the hell is going on in here?" she demanded.

    Jasmine Brown, dressed to perfection in a button-down shirt and a pencil skirt, arched a look at Destiny over the top of her glasses. "Girl," she said, shifting the stack of papers she was holding to the other arm. "Everyone is going crazy. Aubrey Graham is in town working on some hush-hush project. Ever since he moved to working behind the scenes, everyone has bent over backwards trying to get an interview with him. But he has completely shut out the media. He refuses to do interviews. Now that he's in town, everyone from our paper to the Post is trying to get a word with him."

    Destiny's eyebrows shot up. "That's insane," she said. "He stopped into Eli's today. I rung up his order."

    All of the noise in the room stopped, and Destiny could almost hear the wind that resulted in everyone whipping their heads around at once. All eyes were on Destiny after those words left her mouth.

    Jasmine slid her glasses down her nose and looked at Destiny over the wire frames. "Say what?"

    Destiny looked around the room. "What?"

    Everyone in the room clamored around her. They wanted to know whether or not a woman had been with him, what he ordered, what he said, what he was wearing, how he seemed - was he polite or in a rush? She held her hands up in a defensive gesture.

    Jasmine, who ran the advice column for the paper, raised her hands and tried to help settle down the frenzied journalists. "Calm the hell down!" she shouted. "Let the girl breathe."

    "Nothing important happened," Destiny insisted. "The man came in, got breakfast, and left."

    "Is he coming back tomorrow?" someone in the room asked.

    "He's probably coming back tomorrow," someone else said.

    Destiny shrugged. "I don't know."

    "If he comes in tomorrow, you should ask him for an interview," Chad Matteson suggested. He stood over most of the crowd, being that he was 6'4". Dressed in a crimson polo shirt and khakis, Chad had been something of a college football phenom, until he suffered a torn ACL. Now, he served as the sports editor for The Hilltop, a role he'd confessed he never imagined he'd pursue. He didn't give himself enough credit; he was a talented writer.