iii. let's party

Friday evening arrived, and Gretchen and Tina were getting ready to go to Stephen Strange's party. Macy sat on her bunk, scowling into a copy of People magazine that she wasn't actually reading.

"I can't believe you two are actually going to that jerk's party!" Macy exclaimed, slamming the magazine down.

Gretchen scoffed. "It's the first party invite I've scored since coming to Columbia, and I'm not going to pass it up. They live off-campus on the Upper West Side, Mace. It's probably going to be ritzy as hell."

"Is that why you're wearing pearls?" Tina teased. She was busy smearing black eyeshadow onto her eyelids.

"Where did you get pearls?" Macy asked, leaning off the bed to get a closer look at Gretchen's necklace. "Are those Mom's pearls?"

"Yeah," Gretchen replied, inspecting her makeup in a compact mirror.

"What? Why do you have Mom's pearls?" Macy asked.

"Dad said I could have them. She left them in her jewelry box," Gretchen said.

Macy scoffed. "So? That doesn't mean you can just take them! They were Mom's."

"She left them in Connecticut, Macy," Gretchen replied. "Just like she left us in Connecticut. Obviously, she didn't want them."

Though the girls' mother had been gone for six years, it was still a sore subject in the family. The last time Macy had even heard from the woman was on her fourteenth birthday.

"Well, that doesn't mean you should just have them," Macy said.

Gretchen groaned. "Whatever, Macy! Were you going to wear them?" Upon no answer from her sister, Gretchen continued. "Exactly! There's a bunch of stuff on her vanity at home you can have if you want, but I doubt any of it fits your style anyways." She snapped her compact shut. "You know what? I'm glad you're not coming to this party. You would totally ruin the mood."

Macy sat up, a scowl on her face. "You know what? Maybe I will go to that party."

Gretchen groaned again and stomped over to the door. "Whatever. I'm leaving. See you there."

As the door slammed behind Gretchen, Macy hopped down from the top bunk.

"So in order to get you to go to a party, it has to be so you can spite your sister?" Tina asked, amused.

Macy sighed. "I'm sorry, Tina. You keep getting caught up in our sisterly bickering. When Gretchen and I both decided to go to Columbia, we agreed to stay out of each other's hair. As you can see, things aren't going as planned."

"That's alright. I have a sister and a brother, so I know how that goes," Tina laughed. She scanned Macy's outfit, which was currently composed of sweatpants and an old Greenwich Prep physical education t-shirt. "You're not wearing that, are you?"

"No," Macy said, rifling through her closet. She glanced at what Tina was wearing: a tight black dress, fishnets, and a pair of combat boots. She decided on a red slip dress and her trusty Docs. She grabbed her leather jacket to wear on top, in case it got cold on the walk.

"You clean up excellently, Macy O'Hara," Tina said, dabbing at her lipstick with a tissue. "Ready?"

"Yeah, let's go," Macy said, rolling her eyes. "Now I've got to come up with a good excuse as to why I'm going to Strange's party. I feel like he's going to take it as a personal compliment when I show up."