Prologue

2 years ago

Ever wonder what being rich would be like? What not having to worry about where your next meal will come from and when. Well I mean I believe that every person that is not rich dreams to be. Don't hit me with Money doesn't buy happiness bullshit, because I strongly believe it does. When I'm on the floor of one of the worst hospitals in the city because it was the best thing I could afford crying waiting for someone to tell me if my mom is alive or not. I sure as hell wish I had money right now. The American healthcare system is so crappy putting the people that need help the most on the bottom of the to do list. I mean I get being rich isn't everything but honestly my problem isn't money, It's the fact that everything is better for them. They don't need to worry about when they are going to eat because they eat whenever they are hungry, they don't have to worry about simple medical issues because they could actually afford going to the doctor.

Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for every thing I have even if it is little, but when your mom is in the hospital due to cancer and you don't have enough money from your minimum wage job to help her you start thinking a lot you can't blame me. I blame myself, I feel like I'm not doing enough for her and now I don't even know if I'll see her alive again.

"Miss Knight?" I hear someone say

"Yes?" I answer hastily

"I'm so sorry for your loss we tried everything we could she didn't make it" the doctor says as if he is used to breaking this kind of news to people not a sign of remorse in his expression. completely cold.

I don't say anything, absolutely nothing the tears just stream down my cheeks as I walk away and out of the hospital.

I just start walking home when I get to a traffic light I try to cross the street but before I make it to the other side I could hear a car speeding towards me. For some reason I just stand there and right at the right time the driver hits the breaks when he sees me. I glance at him for a second.

I hear the man get out of his car and shut the door hard.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU" he shouts. I flinch because I'm not used to people yelling at me. I look up at the man with tears in my eyes standing at the same spot.

"I'm so sorry sir" I manage to speak out

"Whatever" the man answers roughly without even looking at me before he gets into his expensive car.

I get out of the street and go to the other side of it and continue my walk home.

I get into our small 1 bedroom apartment and all I can smell is my mom, in the room, in the kitchen, in the bathroom and in our small laundry room.

All I did that night and for the next week was cry. cry, cry, cry and cry some more, even during her funeral speech I cried. There goes the rest of my money for the month. I thought to myself while mourning over my dead mother.

Who knew that man would actually be apart of my life someday....