2. The sound of the shell

I suddenly wake up. I barely opened my eyes. Why can I feel sand beneath me? Where am I? Was the only question I asked myself before my body flew up from my laying position. I felt my back arch from all the pain I was in. I tried to look around me but my eyes didn't want to open correctly. I then decided to stand up but my body was to weak to even know how to walk. My body gave up and I was about to fall to the hot sandy ground, but before I could I felt two strong arms wrap around my body. Strange. I looked up to the mysterious person but couldn't really see his face due to the varm sun...

"Got you" he said. " What's your name miss?" I heard him say. I didn't quite recognize his voice...

"Em" Was the only thing I could say until I collapsed into the strangers arms.

I woke up to the sound of a trumpet. Or that's what I thought it was. Only to find myself laying under a palm tree with a massive headache. I quickly put my hand up to my forhead and looked down trying to regain my vision, I must be very dehydrated. I then tried to stand up tall and walk to where the other people were. Boys actually. Only boys...

I then see a boy running up to me. Was that the same boy that saved me? He looked very worried since the first thing he said was

"Hey! Em! Are you okay??" He said with his very nervous and worried face.

"Yes I'm fine, just a headache" I said, trying to sound as normal as I could.
He stared at me for a little while until he snapped out of it and introduced himself.

"Well, my name is Ralph. It's an honor to meet you!" He said with a big smile.
"Same goes to you Ralph" I said and gave him a happy smile aswell.

Me and Ralph both walked back to the other boys who we're sitting on the sand while listening to someone. I recalled him as a little bit annoying, big, but caring. I then sat myself down on the sand and looked around and noticed that there where boys from all different ages.
Some maybe 6-8 or maybe 8-14. Ralph on the other hand looked about 16 which was quite nice for me since I didn't really want to hang our with 7 year olds...

All of a sudden all of us saw black figures step out of the jungle and start walking towards us. When they got a little closer I realized they we're also some of the boys that we're on the plane. And they we're singing? Yes, yes they we're singing some wierd song. They all Word black shorts with a white blazer underneath their long black cloaks.
When they we're almost upon us I could finally recognize some of then.
First the one and only Jack Merridew who I met on the plane. Great! This is not gonna end well.
Jack was actually leading the rest of the boys. When he came to where we we're sitting he looked at all of us and asked.

"Where's the man with the trumpet?" That was when Ralph walked towards him.

"There's No man with a trumpet, only me" Ralph said confidently.

"Isn't there another man here?" Jack asked Ralph.

You see another man here? Not me either. I thought while I looked at the blonde boy.

"No, we're having a meeting, join us if you'd like." Ralph said.

The group of cloaked boys betan to scatter from close line. But then Jack shouted at them.

"Choir! Stand still!" Jack said, with a very demanding look on his face.

"But Merridew! Please... can't we?" The boys asked as they we're dying because of sweat .

Finally Jack gave in, and instructed them to sit down.

Oh so they're in the choir... fun. I thought while scanning all the " Choir"
Im pretty sure that I saw Roger and Maurice there too but I tried my very best not to make eye contact with any of them.
But then something pulled my eye. It was Simon! The boy I talked to on the plane! His eyes met mine and I gave him a friendly smile.
Just right there I saw Simon drop to the ground. Oh no no!

The other boys ran to him and picked him up and started carrying him. I looked up at Jack who turned to me quickly, We both looked away and back to the fallen boy.

"All right then, sit down, let him alone.

" But Merridew?? One of the "choir" boy said worrinly.

" Simon's always throwing a faint! He did in Gib,; and Addis; And at the Martins over the perecor,
After Jack and Ralph had their conversation Piggy found his courage to ask all the kids their names, but that was when Jack shut him up saying "You're talking too much, shut up fatty!" With a twisted smirk on his face
What a bully...
Piggy put his hands on his waist bur before he could say anything Ralph interrupted.
"He's not fatty! His real name's Piggy!"
"Piggy!?"
"Oh piggy!"
"Piggy! Piggy!"

All of the boys burst in to laughter, even the tiniest boys on the island. It was like a circus. I was the only one to not laugh. I looked up at piggy who's cheeks had turned really red. Finally the laughter died away and the naming continued. It was the choir boys turn.

"Henry"
"Maurice"
"Robert"
"Rupert"
"Harold"
"Bill"
"Roger"
"Simon"

"I'm Jack" I rolled my eyes at Jack kinda hoping he would see it. Which he actually did as he looked  straight into my blue eyes with a rather mad but also hurt look. Simon just smiled at me and I smiled back at him. I really like Simon. I don't really know him that well but I can tell he's a very sweet and caring person. But that Jack boy really be getting only nerves.
Ralph started to talk about voting for a chief to decide things. Jack lit up like a star and directly told everyone why he should be chief.
"I'm chapter chorister and head boy! I can sing c sharp!" He said proudly.

"Wow really, sing for us will you" I said with a VERY sarcastic tone and I heard Harold and Maurice giggle at my comment. Jack looked at them and then back at me.

"Maybe another time darling" He said and winked at me. Then I heard Roger laugh. That bitch.

Then we had the election between Ralph and Jack and thankfully Ralph won. Jack was furious that he didn't become chief. Almost felt a little bad seeing him sad. Ralph then decided we should go on an expidition to see if this really is an island. He picked Jack to go with him and then Simon. I raised my hand high so Ralph could see it.

"Annddd... Emmeline!" You can come with us If you'd like." He said smiling at me. I smiled back at him and jumped up and gave him a hug. While I did so I could hear some "OoOOOo" From the other boys. But I really didn't care. When I pulled away I looked at Jack and saw that he had a little jealous look on his face. He then turned away and started walking along the beach with Simon. Me and Ralph ran up to them and we all walked along the beach talking about random stuff.
While me and Jack walked side by side in the jungle I could feel Ralph's jealous glare behind me. It got worse when Jack's hand met mine and we held hands for awile actually. Maybe he's not that bad?
"So Em, you've got a boyfriend?" He asked me while looking straight into my eyes. I raised my eyebrows and looked at him. " And why are you wondering about that may I ask?". I asked with a smirk on my face. "Oh well, I'm just curiou-" He got interrupted by a pig running by. He sprinted after it and so did I, Ralph and Simon came running after us. Jack saw the pig and had his knife ready to kill it. But something in him stopped him from doing so, then the pig started running away into the tricket parts of the jungle.
"Next time" Jack said while looking at me. I smiled slithly and we all walked back to camp. When we came back ro the camp we all saw a small figure running towards us. More like towards me. When the figure came closer I saw that it was a little boy. Percival I think his name was. He came running up ro me and grabbed the white fabric of my quite long
shorts, since I used Jack's pocket knife to cut my baggy white pants into shorts it looked kinda uneven but I really couldn't care less. Percival was now holding strongly to my shorts while he looked upset. I could see that he had cried.

"What's wrong darling?" I asked while bending down to his level. The other boys just walked past us and went to sit with the other boys.

"Roger threw rocks at me" He said and pointed to where Roger had thrown the rock. It was just a tiny bruise but I still felt bad for him. I quickly planted a small kiss on the bruise. "All better!" I said with a smile. He giggled and we both walked back to where all the boys sat.
When we arrived Ralph had already begun the assembly. He sat down on a log while holding the conch. I went to sit with Maurice and Harold while Percival ran to sit with his friends. I looked over to him and I saw how he proudly told his friends about how I, the only girl on the island helped him. He smiled to his friends as they we're wowed by the story he told. How adorable.
I got interrupted by Ralph telling everyone what we're going to do to survive. I kinda drifted off in my own thoughts until I saw Jack staring at me. I gave him a confused look but he just looked away.