05

- CHAPTER FIVE -

- Season One -

. . .

Ophelia had learnt the hard way that if one was to think the balls were bad then they were only destined for a terrible morning after. She could only be thankful that there was no alcohol induced headache to add to the aftermath because the pain that came with awakening at nine in the morning after going to bed at a time unfathomable to the human mind, wasn't something to be endured lightly.

She was always thankful of Rose's particularly quiet awakening in comparison to usual, and it wasn't until she had dressed and had been made to be more appealing by the ladies maid, that she was learning of the excitement coming from Daphne for their day of callings - something that the heiress had not been feeling quite so enthusiastic for.

It was when she had made her way into the drawing room that she realised to what extent her family's keenness was going to. There was only a footman by the door, and yet it appeared Daphne had her mother and brothers help her in adjusting the entire room to look more like an empty restaurant than anything else.

Ophelia had only hoped for a quiet morning but she was quickly realising that with the expectation that she must be sociable all day regardless of whether that was with the family or potential suitors, it was becoming evident how much she wished to just disappear off the face of the earth without any questions asked.

She wanted to sit with Eloise and read one of the intelligent novels that were deemed too incomprehensible for the female mind, sketch the stables through the large windows and listen to the general chatter that often filled the room. However Lady Violet had other ideas, and soon had her sat down on the sofa with a new embroidery hoop, fabric and a number of thread colours.

For once she was only too enthusiastic to see the footman pushing open the door, even standing up in greeting before Daphne and Lady Violet who still managed to look more keen than she was. But her hopes for a distraction were sorely mistaken for Anthony striding through the room with purpose.

"Anthony!" Daphne did not sound half as eager as she attempted to look. "I did not expect to see you here this morning."

"I could not sleep for some reason." Anthony's voice was innocent with a hint of overbearing patronise that Ophelia had managed to pick up moments before. "All the excitement, I presume... am I the first gentleman to arrive?" There was no response as he brushed past Daphne and sat down in her spot. "How wonderful."

With him now another obstacle in the way to her freedom, Ophelia sat back in the sofa reluctantly and continued with her cross-stitching. But her lack of entertainment didn't last long as the first caller was announced to the household and Daphne was found on the seat opposite from them eagerly divulging in conversation with the first Lord of the day.

"And do you have a large family, too, my Lord?" She asked interestedly, ignoring her brother whilst the Farrington attempted to subtly gain his attention and have him sit back down instead of glaring at the guest merely centimetres away from him.

There was a period in which he had gone to reply until getting put off by the pressuring cloud above his head. "Is there a problem, Lord Bridgerton?"

"I should think so." Anthony replied, and Daphne sent a helpless glance to her friend sat behind him. "You are in my seat." He stated, watching proudly as the lord immediately rose from chair and headed for the exit of the room, bouquet of flowers in hand.