Chapter 2 - The Flames That Burn Within Us

A/N: Hi! Sorry for the late update. I hope you enjoy this one. :)

Chapter 2 - The Flames That Burn Within Us

No one paid him any mind, and that suited him fine.

He was another dark-cloaked member of the crowd, forced to congregate in the village square to witness the public shaming of their beloved princess. Everyone else was too focused on the horror of this day to notice him. He blended in perfectly with the masses and directed his sharp black eyes to the center of the square.

A massive platform had been erected seemingly overnight, which would serve as the site of both the princess's deposition and Abel's inception as King.

The young man moved about fluidly, black gaze sweeping across the square, his left hand gripping the hilt of his sword tightly and hidden by the black cloak draped around his shoulders. He was jostled here and there by the distressed crowd, muscled along by the barbaric Edo soldiers as preparations for the coronation ceremony began.

His presence here, if discovered by anyone, Rosea and Edo alike, would spell disaster for his cause. Triple agents were in high demand as far as the executioner was concerned, and the Rebellion, still in its infancy, could not risk the disposal of one of its chief architects so early in the game.

Ethan, relying on the hustle and bustle of this miserable crowd to ensure his anonymity, glanced to his right. A tall, blonde man dressed in the same black cloak made eye contact, nodded once, curtly, and signaled two fingers to the left. Ethan nodded once to confirm that he understood the message, and slipped, unseen, towards the scaffolding where the coronation would take place.

His orders were clear and finite. He was to interfere if, and only if, Abel sentenced the princess to death. She was the figurehead of the whole revolution, the symbol of peace and prosperity that the oppressed citizens of Rosea were clinging to. Her death would be a crushing blow to the success of the Rebellion, and the goals of the Rebellion were very simple: Kill Abel and restore Princess Scarlet to her throne.

Ethan was the most capable member of the Rebellion to ensure the success of this mission, but it was also a great risk. Should Abel decide to kill the princess, springing her from the ceremony in front of the entire nation would draw a colossal amount of attention. Ethan preferred that his identity remain secret for as long as possible; he was far more useful to the revolution if Abel was unaware that Ethan's allegiance was with Rosea.