Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2
Sarah stepped into Forever Assurance Plc, where she worked as a front desk officer. She stopped at the front desk and searched her handbag for a pen. She found one. She leaned towards the desk to sign the staff register.
“Sarah, wait! Please. I have not signed in. Let me sign first before you do,” a young woman in her early thirties said as she hurried into the reception, her hands occupied with many bags.
Sarah looked up from the book and turned to face the woman.
“Good morning, Mrs Mbok.”
“Good morning. Please let me quickly sign,” Mrs Mbok said and started arranging her bags on the desk.
“But you’re just coming in. You met me here. Why should you sign first?” Sarah questioned.
Mrs Mbok ignored her and searched her small bag for a pen.
Sarah bent over the register, her pen poised to write. Mrs Mbok snatched Sarah’s pen and pulled the register towards herself.
“What’s this supposed to mean for goodness’ sake? I don’t like this,” Sarah said, displeased.
“Sorry. I need to sign first,” Mrs Mbok said and began to write in the book. “I know you are an oversabi Christian. Let me sign before you write quarter after eight in the book.”
Sarah shook her head. Now she knew why Mrs Mbok wanted her to wait. Mrs Mbok wanted to lie about the time she arrived and she knew that it would be impossible if Sarah signed first.
“If one calls oneself a Christian and can’t act it out, I think that’s a more serious problem. You shouldn’t have come late when you knew you would prefer to sign a time not later than eight,” Sarah said.
“Mind your business, Lady. My God is not wicked. You’re the one taking things beyond limit. What’s the big deal about writing whatever time one likes in a time register? Will that prevent me from going to heaven? I write the time the organisation wants to see,” Mrs Mbok said.
“What the organisation wants to see? But that’s a lie. You lied,” Sarah said and cast a glance at the register. Mrs Mbok had written 7:50 am in the Time-in column and signed. Sarah took a glance at her wristwatch. It was 8:20 am now. She had wanted to write 8:15 am before Mrs Mbok stopped her.
“Forget that one. It is a normal lie. I have no problem with you writing the actual time you resume work in the time book. But I’d like you to keep that insane idea to yourself. Now you can write your own time,” Mrs Mbok said and dropped Sarah’s pen on the table.
Sarah shook her head and took the pen. “There’s no such thing as a normal lie. The Bible says all liars shall have their part in the lake of fire. We show our beliefs by our way of life,” Sarah said.
“Don’t bother about me. We will see each other in heaven, I promise,” Mrs Mbok said and carried her bags.
Sarah stifled the laughter that rose up her throat. “That’s my prayer, Mrs Mbok. But you had better change. God’s standard is set. Remember that.”
“Thank you, woman,” Mrs Mbok said and hurried to her office.
Sarah bent over the register, wrote 8:15 am against her name and signed. She knew the management of the organisation frowned at lateness to work. Many times in the past, perpetual offenders had been punished as deemed appropriate. But Sarah didn’t care. She did her best to get to work on time but whenever she came late, she still wrote the actual time she got to work. She would never lie to cover up. She would prefer being punished instead.
Sarah Adeolu sat at her desk and did her duties.
Around two in the afternoon, her phone beeped. A text message from Dreamboat. She took the phone and checked.
“Hi, dear. How’re you doing? I can’t stop thinking of you. I’m so excited. Just checking on you. Much love,” the text message read.
Sarah beamed. She loved Femi. Why else would she save his contact on her phone as Dreamboat? He was her dream-come-true. And she was sure he loved her as well.
“This one you are smiling like a baby. What’s up with you?” Jummy, Sarah’s co-staff and friend said.
Sarah looked up from her phone. “It’s the joy of the Lord.
How’re you?” she said.
Jummy sat beside Sarah. “I’ve been observing you. Something is different about you today. You’ve been smiling all around and acting overly nice. Give me the gist.”
Sarah laughed. “Hmm, Jummy. It’s the Lord’s doing and it’s marvellous in our eyes.”
“Glory to God. Now tell me what it is.” Jummy searched Sarah’s eyes in a way that informed Sarah that she wanted to hear exactly what was making her excited.
Sarah took a deep breath. She smiled and licked her lips. “I’m getting married,” she said. A buoyant smile illuminated her brown eyes.
Jummy shot to her feet. “Are you for real? Like seriously?” Sarah nodded, smiling.
“Dancing in the Lord, I am dancing in the Lord, amen. Singing in the Lord, I am singing in the Lord, amen. Clapping in the Lord...,” Jummy sang and danced.
Sarah laughed. She pulled her friend onto her seat. “Stop this, Jummy. It’s not yet official. You don’t want everyone asking what’s going on,” she said.
“I’m sorry. I was just over joyous.” Jummy rubbed her palms against each other and placed them on her hips. “Give me the full gist.”
“Hmm. Femi called me this morning and told me it was time to settle down.”
“Wow! I’m so excited.” Jummy gave Sarah a bear hug. “You’re such a lucky woman. I’m sure your mind is finally at rest now. Bro Femi is not going anywhere.”
“Uh.” Sarah exhaled. “You can say that again. I’m so delighted, myself.”
“This is good news. So how are you going about it? How about wedding preparation and all?”
“We are yet to broach the topic. We’ll talk later today probably,” Sarah said, scratching her hairline.
“You’re so lucky. So Bro Femi would eventually settle with you.”
“God reserved him for me. Thank God. I’m happy I trusted His promise. I was almost beginning to be fearful it wouldn’t work out. You needed to see how delighted I was when he said he was now fully convinced to put a ring on it.”
Jummy smiled. “I can imagine, my dear. It’s been a while you started this relationship. Plus the fact that you’ve had many disappointments in the past.”
“Exactly. I’m glad you remember. You understand me perfectly,” Sarah said.
“I’m happy for you, my dear.” “Thank you, Jummy.”
“Let me be on my way now. There are some files I have to work
on.”