Chapter 1

"There it is. Corona." Rapunzel had a soft smile spread across her face as she saw her home with the rising sun behind it.

"Finally!" Eugene said as they drove their new caravan down the hill towards the city. "No offense to any of you people, but we have been together for way too long, and I need a break from your faces. Except for you, of course, Rapunzel."

"Ouch," Varian said. Suddenly he had a coughing fit into the crook of his elbow.

"We should get that checked out when we get settled," Cassandra said. "You've had it for a month now."

Varian waved a hand. "I'm fine. It's probably just left over from a cold."

"Doesn't hurt to get it checked out."

He chuckled, coughing again. "Alright."

"Oh! How I've missed everything so much!" Lance said as they rode into the city. "You know what I missed about Corona? The people..." He looked around. "In fact, I'm still missing the people."

"Yeah, that's weird," Eugene admitted.

"Hello! Hello?" Rapunzel called.

"It's kind of spooky..." Lance shuddered.

Hello? People?

"Oh, look, the shoe man, what's-his-name!" Cassandra gestured to the man running with a bucket. He tripped, spilling green crystals onto the pavement.

"Oh! Oh dear, oh dear! Woe is me, I'll never meet my quota."

"Feldspar!" Rapunzel waved. She remembered meeting him for her shoe fitting when she became princess. Shoes that she never actually wore.

"Princess! Oh, thank goodness you're back!"

"Where is everyone?"

"Oh, it's awful! It's just awful! Everyone in Corona has been forced to quarry, mining these pesky, green minerals. Oh! Oh! I gotta get this in by nightfall!" He picked up the minerals.

"I'll order the Miner Instructor to lessen the work if you're struggling," Rapunzel offered.

"Well, I'm not sure what good that will do. Your father is the one who gave the order." He ran off with the minerals.

"I don't believe it. I'm going to the castle to speak with my father. I have to know why he ordered this!" Rapunzel clenched her fists.

"Right when I felt like I was prepared to see him again," Varian muttered. "But this doesn't make sense. Even if it was Fredric, Mom never would have stood for it. So there must be some kind of reasonable explanation."

Cassandra snorted. "Well, he better be fast at explaining."

They walked into the castle and swung open the throne room doors. "Mom! Dad! Oh, you guys! I have missed you so much!" Rapunzel ran up and hugged them. Hellos first, confrontation second.

"Uh, Frederic?" Arianna began with uncertainty.

"Young lady, please..." Fredric said.

Rapunzel pulled away. "Young lady? Dad, what's going on?"

"Oh, this is awkward."

Everyone whirled around upon hearing the familiar voice. Varian pointed an angry finger at her. "Caine! When will you learn that this gets you nowhere?"

"I have to disagree on that, kiddo."

"Lady Caine, my trusted advisor," Fredric said.

"Mom! Dad! Uh, don't you remember what she's done?" Rapunzel cried.