Prologue: The Gala

Mao Mao had to admit, being a hero was exhausting.

As much as he'd grown to love Pure Heart Valley as his home, it was often difficult to protect the Sweetypies from the Sky Pirates, monsters, or even other criminals that would come to the town just to rob or scam the innocent (and, dare he admit, rather sheltered) townsfolk.

However, being a hero meant that, no matter how exhausted you are, protecting the innocent was the more important thing. 

This is what he'd always been taught.

Which was why he was polishing Geraldine while sitting on Sofia (oh god, that sounded so wrong, the cat cringed), absolutely bored out of his mind.

It didn't take long at all, really, for Badgerclops to notice, sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee in his hand. "You alright, man?"

"No, I am not alright, Badgerclops," the black cat grumbled, setting Geraldine down for a moment. He threw his arms up in the air, looking exasperated. "There has been nothing to do for the past three days! No crime, no adventure, no beating up the Sky Pirates-"

"I mean, to be fair, we do kick their asses twice a week," Badgerclops muttered, blowing on his coffee a bit. "Can't really blame them for not wanting to be beat up for once. Everyone has a limit."

Mao Mao gave him a look, annoyed. "Okay, one: another quarter for the swear jar-" Badgerclops groaned. "-come on, man, we agreed we wouldn't swear so much after taking Adorabat in, you know that. Two: how am I supposed to become a legendary hero if there is nothing to do, no adventure, no foe to mop the floor with?"

Badgerclops rolled his eyes. "Do you honestly expect to win every single battle any time a baddie comes along?"

"I… well, yes," the warrior cat admitted, looking up at his friend. "That is what a hero is supposed to do, you know."

"Mao Mao's right!" a familiar voice squealed. 

Mao Mao's face lit up a little as Adorabat flew over, her gold eyes shining with admiration as she flew right into her hero's lap. Mao Mao smiled softly at the little deputy, gently wrapping his arms around her and pulling her closer to him, all the while he blatantly ignored the knowing smirk Badgerclops sent his way. But, Adorabat looked up at Badgerclops, not yet done with her argument.

"Heroes always win in the end!" she chirped, smiling at her food loving friend. "After all! Whenever something happens, it usually ends up working out in our favor, doesn't it?"

Badgerclops opened his mouth to retort, but then he paused, thinking, and Mao Mao snickered quietly. He could practically smell the smoke of the old gears struggling to turn in the big badger's head.

Badgerclops, after a moment, huffed and lifted the cup of coffee to his lips. "Whatever."

"Come save my bacon, I'm really in a jam! Come save my bacon, I'm really in a jam! Come save my bacon, I'm really in a jam!"

Badgerclops yelped in surprise, and gasped as his coffee spilled all over the floor, and he screamed. "Nooooooooooo-!"

"YES!" Mao Mao cackled, jumping to his feet (while still holding Adorabat), clearly ecstatic. "Finally, something to do!"

"MORE VILLAINS TO SQUISH!" Adorabat screeched, flapping her wings, all the while laughing an almost evil laugh. 

Badgerclops sniffed, looking heartbroken over his spilled coffee. "But… at what cost…?"

Mao Mao rolled his eyes. "Look, Badgerclops, I promise I'll get you another cup of coffee on the way there. How's that sound?"

Badgerclops, elated at the thought of getting more coffee, immediately rushed to the Aero-Cycle. "Come on, man, we're burning daylight!"