10: Again...?

Challenger's POV

Something appeared in the darkness.

I...was back at the table? Wasn't I just in another room? The DM was in front of me again. Guess it's time for round 2?

"Welcome, new challenger."

"...You seem confused."

"Do not worry. Bones are easy to understand. Let me show you."

The battle setup appeared again, cards placed in my hand once more. Looks like the Stoat was asleep again.

"Bones can be used to summon creatures that require them."

"You gain a bone when one of your creatures die. For any reason."

"The resourceful Opposom costs 2 bones."

An Opposom landed in my hand.

"You cannot play it currently. Lose a few creatures and you can."

I played the Stoat again, pushing me ahead by one. A Rattler was in queue in front of it. Geez, that thing has 3 attack? That'll kill the Stoat instantly! Hmm...

Well, I guess I could say this River Snapper. Which I did. Y'know, saying River Snapper is kinda long. I'm going to shorten it to RS now. That seems fair. After finishing that tutorial, the first map appeared again. But something felt off.

"Oh. I mist have forgotten your playing piece. Go fetch it for me."

"Get up."

...What?

"Up from the table."

I slowly stood up, just realizing I was sitting that entire time.

"Your figurine is on the table over there, beside the safe. Do not touch anything."

"Although, I suppose you may. I prefer to stay concealed. My identity will remain a secret."

I walked over to the safe. I swore I saw a hand getting pulled behind it. I must be seeing things. The rest of this cabin is pretty weird. There was a broken cuckoo clock, a slew of drawers, all locked up by a single lock, and even a skull sat next to the drawers. Geez, what was up with this guy? Anyways, I grabbed the figurine, which oddly looked a lot like me. Though, that last one did too. But this one was different. This definitely wasn't the same thing. But how did he get these? I probably shouldn't question it. The guy just casually has a skull behind him.

I brought the figurine back to the table, placing it on the starting position on the map.

"Thank you, challenger."

"You may stand up any time the map is unrolled. It is important to keep your blood flowing."

"And it gives me more time to plan your next encounter."

Weird. Again, not questioning it. Don't wanna end up like the poor sap behind him. But then again, I kinda recognize that head shape somewhere. I think that skull used to be someone I knew. Probably just something getting to me. I decided to ignore it and continue playing.

"You sac'd me while I was asleep?! AGAIN?!"

"Ugh. Never mind. I think I remember a past challenger doing something with the rulebook. I can only say "Leap". Don't want him catching on."

Huh. Leap? As in...uh...oh yeah! Mighty Leap, the sigil that the Bullfrog has.

I opened to book and flipped to the page with Mighty Leap. And sure enough, there was writing on it. "273", Huh? And a dial...sure seems like the safe code to me. I finished up the battle I was in, and went to the safe. I turned the dial according to the code, and after entering the last number, it cracked open. The door slowly opened to reveal a card resting on a key. I picked up the card, which happened to be a Stinkbug.

"Oh! Thank goodness. I never thought I'd escape that iron crypt. Is M...err...the Stoat still here? The Stunted Wolf? Odd...I can't seem to remember anything about them..."

"Put that away."

I worriedly placed the card on the table, picking up the key. Maybe this would open that drawer. I pushed the key into the lock and turned, and sure enough, it opened. There were 4 drawers, seemingly with puzzles on them.

These were set up like the card game. So, just move the pieces around to win in one turn? Seems easy enough. The first one was dirt cheap. Opening the drawer, I saw a Skink card inside.

"I had forgot I left that in there. You may keep it, and I will make it available for all challengers as well."

I figured out th te second one just as fast, finding 2 cards, a Worker Ant and Ant Queen.

"Formidable creatures, those Ants. They will be added to your deck, and I shall deal you one every so often."

The 2 bottom drawers were revealed by a thin wooden wall, which fell down onto the floor, somehow not breaking. These 2 puzzles were harder, but I managed to figure them put after some thinking. The first one had another card, a Caged Wolf.

"Curious..." Said the DM.

The last puzzle was pretty tricky. I figured it out, and found some kind of wooden squirrel head inside.

"Since you have not met...her...yet, this wood carving is meaningless. You will find its use soon enough, however."

The carving floated out of my hand, and towards the DM. Upon closer inspection, there were a small swarm of bees carrying it to him. The heck was this guy's deal? Now he's some kind of shapeshifting insect whisperer? Gosh, this is getting more convoluted by the minute. Still, not going to give myself a headache by trying to figure it out. I want to keep playing. I have a feeling that this game is going to get much more interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for bot updating this in a while. I was focusing on another book, and now I'll be focusing on this one. Also, one chapter a weekday was way too much. From now on expect at least one chapter a week. I might do multiple a week if I'm feeling up to it, but do expect at least one. Hope you're enjoying this so far! Also, I'll be asking you some questions at the end of these sometimes, to see what you think. So, who do you think is the challenger? And as always, have fun reading, and hope you're enjoying!

-Some_Trans_Writer