Untitled Part 1

AU: Alternative universe fanfiction where OC characters help with real world daily life. Where Dyrk, in a more human form, invests in an office to help run Ishness community, but is still plagued with not being able to touch humans.

It was just another day at the office. Ever since the move into a more professional space, Dyrk had felt more in his element. The clear light of the day beamed through the large bay window and onto the large wooden desk where he sat to work. Facing the desk were two leather chairs with a small table-the walls behind lined with shelves. The clock struck ten as he sat waiting for the new hire to come in and go over the day's tasks. Even though Dyrk knew what his day entailed, he had hired her in order to help the others stay on track. Fifteen minutes later a knock rings out through the room. Dyrk looks over eyes squinting at the closed door and with a scrutinizing tone allows her to enter.

The door cracks slightly as she slips in, eyes cast down just barely peaking up at his face. He knows she's trying to gauge his reaction to her tardiness. She sits across him in one of the leather chairs resting her tablet on her thighs. She crosses her legs at her ankles and he notes how dainty they are under her tights. His eyes travel up farther, she is wearing a waist high skirt that is a little too big, paired with an over-sized sweater that makes the whole outfit a little frumpy-but somehow cute. The braid she always seemed to style her waste long hair in was already starting to fall out, loose tendrils bringing his attention to her neck. Though she was inherently beautiful, she wasn't hired for her looks, her application had a strong emphasis on willingness to learn and ability to follow direction. Everybody was allowed to help with picking a candidate, and DZ had felt strongly that such traits would benefit them.

"...I'm late, I can get right to sorting through the emails," her voice broke him from his recollection of DZ's enthusiasm.

"Yes," Dyrk said while he started to rustle through some papers, "then you can move onto updating the calendar and order the decorations that Munk and Zyggy requested for the gala."

She fumbled her tablet before looking up at him, working her inner lip she mumbles, "I could make some of those decorations."

"Speak up," he says looking down at her as she picks her tablet up off the floor, their eyes lock as she straightens herself.

"Um I'm quite crafty and I saw the list, there are a few items I could probably make for cheaper, so I thought I would offer," she said as she fiddled with her necklace.

"As long as they're done on time," he stated looking away and back to his task, "check back in later." He watches as she collects her things and heads back down the hallway to her desk through the open door.

Dyrk walked out into the lobby, knowing the secretary was out on lunch and likely picking up crafting supplies as she seemed disciplined in that way. He realized the time and remembered she likely had finished sorting out all of their emails. He headed back to the office in order to go through his. Once he sat in front of the screen an email from DZ was first on the list. It was a forwarded email....sent to everybody within the Ishness address book. "DAMN THAT SECRETARY!" Instead of moving the email to DZ's folder, she had forwarded the email to everybody within all of their shared contacts.

There was a strange anger Dyrk began to feel at the failings of this woman. The contents of the email made the situation even worse. He heard the door shut bags shuffling down the hallway, a low hum increasing in volume as she neared. She entered, forgetting to knock, looking quite happy with herself as she held her treasures. Her eyes went wide as she found Dyrk looming over the computer, brows cast down and eyes stern and piercing. The bags made a thud against the floor, "What?" she could hardly get it out. Dyrk motioned her over to the desk and simultaneously turned the monitor. She slowly walked over to the desk ringing her hands as he walked to the other side behind her.