Like Any Stranger Would

She smiled at me like any stranger would, you could tell it was fake.

By the way it didnt reach her eyes, or light up her face.

We made eye contact on a street crossing, as I passed her on my way, you know the awkward eye contact that you really want to break without being rude.

I noticed what she wore that day, a long beige trench coat with black combat boots, a turtle neck and jeans. Her hair was straight and brown, a large contrast to her light blue eyes.

Some would find it creepy that I observed so much in such a short glance, but it was the events that followed that made me remember.

We smiled at each other like strangers would, it didn't quite meet our eyes or light up our face.

I look past her to see the oncoming car and time stopped I hadn't seen it before and I was to late to warn her. I could only watch as the car sweaped her off her feet.

She laned in front of me and I was quick to go to her aid, her body was twisted in an unnatural angle. But I couldn't move her so I went to comfort her, she was breathing heavily, her eyes wide with fear. As her eyes locked with mine I said

"It's OK someone's coming to help" not even I believed my own words.

"what's your name?"  I had asked.

"Brooklyn.." she said though a wheeze.

"Well, Brooklyn it'll be okay, okay?" I had told her, thinking back I could think of alot of better things to say in those moments.

She just look at me as the last of her light faded from her eyes, their bright blue color escaped them leaving them dull and grey.

She just looked at me.

And then she smiled at me like any stranger would.