Ava | Chap. 74

Needless to say my jaw almost unhinged itself when Cade's words sunk in. Either my brain was still too tired to understand or I misheard him. He seemed to read through as a soft chuckle rumbled his throat causing his shoulders to jump. Despite the sound, his face was cloaked with dread and what seemed to be remorse.

It didn't take a genius to put the puzzle pieces together and understood Cade and Felix didn't have a good history, as if earlier's conversation wasn't enough...

"What happened between you two?" I bit my lip, suddenly regretting my question when Cade's face turned into a sour frown. I laid my hand on his shoulder, ignoring the dryness of my mouth as I spoke: "Never mind, it's none of my businness, I-I didn't meant to intrude."

A small smile lifted the corner of his lips making me tilt my head in confusion. I parted my lips to speak, but he beat me to it: "Hm, anyone ever told you you're cute when you stutter?"

The compliment made my eyes roll, but I felt my cheeks turn red nonetheless. After everything we've been through, I was glad to see Cade still had his spirit going. Is it bad I kind of missed this? My friend sat down onto the bed, his weight making the very frame bend to the point I had to use my arms to stop myself from falling face first onto Cade's shoulder. Not that I wouldn't totally mind; I'm still really tired so anything could serve as a pillow to be honest. I pushed aside my fatigue then scooted to his side.

In all honesty, after the roller coaster of emotions I've went through over the last few weeks, I just wanted to be around a good friend. My head rested on his shoulder, my temple soothed by the muffled sound of his heart beating.

"What happened between you two?" I asked once again, unable to push the question aside.

Cade passed his hand through his mane, giving out a short sigh. "Felix and I never really saw eye to eye, even as kids. When we grew up though, we learned to simply endure each other and kept our mouths shut. Finally the time came where we needed to make a choice; stay in the Selene pack or leave. I chose to stay while Felix left. Within the following year, I became my father's Beta while Felix on the other hand, was never able to achieve such honor. He grew bitter and never spoke to me since."

I frowned, a little surprised by his story, somehow awaiting something a little more tragic based on the look he was giving me. My sympathy for him didn't change though and honestly it kind of made me question my own reasons to whine about my situation; suddenly I didn't felt like I had that much of a sad life after all... I was happy with my mother. I was safe even if I didn't have any social life outside of our wooden cottages walls.

Going back to Cade I hadn't realized I allowed my head to lean onto his shoulder, but he didn't seem to mind either. I exhaled, evacuating the stress that had accumulated over time. I was glad I felt so secure around Cade. And I hadn't realized until now how he had become a big brother figure to me. I felt his muscle ripple beneath my head alerting me he was moving as I lifted my head up. Cade stood up from the bed before facing me with a soft smile.

"I should probably find Jace before he gets himself into trouble again." He reached the door frame, standing beneath the dark word line. "Are you going to be okay?

- Don't worry about me, I can handle myself just fine.

- Just checking. I'll be back soon." I nodded as my friend stepped outside, closing the large door behind him as he left me alone in the room.

I slumped back onto the bed, arms splayed across the mattress while my legs dangled from the edge of the frame. A long sigh escaped my throat, one of relaxation and content. Finally some alone time-

A knock at the door. I groaned, sweeping my palms across my pale face. Can't I just have five minutes to myself? I know I was passed out for the last three days but it's not like I'm going to die!