Chapter 29

"I hope Zaalbar and Mission are doing ok," Venar said as they walked through the dense jungle.

"I'm sure they'll be just fine," Bastila said. "They're both strong."

Jolee swung his lightsaber back and forth in front of him, carving a path through the jungle. They had to admit after the mushbloom stew Jolee had made, they hadn't had high hopes for the roasted tach. They had been pleasantly surprised even if it tasted a little gamey.

After the argument of the morning, things had been relatively quiet between the three Jedi. Well, mainly Venar and Bastila. Jolee either didn't get the hint that there was still some awkwardness or he didn't care. Venar wasn't sure whether he should be annoyed or grateful that Jolee could fill the silence.

"You know, these Wookiees deserve better," Jolee said. "It's a really unfortunate situation they've been put into."

"Yes. It's heartbreaking what Czerka is doing to them," Bastila said.

"And the Jedi," Jolee said, raising an eyebrow and looking over his shoulder at them.

"The Jedi? What have the Jedi possibly done to the Wookiees," Bastila asked.

"Nothing..." Venar mused.

"Exactly," Jolee said snapping his fingers.

"The Jedi sent us here to find an important artifact, one that could end the war."

"Yes, and I don't doubt that your mission is important," Jolee retorted. "But the Jedi have the power to intervene here. Why don't you ask yourself why they don't?"

"That's not our mission," Bastila countered.

"Perhaps not," he conceded, "but there are other Jedi that could be working here to help the Wookiees. They're aware of the situation. Why haven't they sent anyone else?"

"Unfortunately, Kashyyyk is not a Republic world."

"And that means they can't help? No, the Jedi have helped unaligned worlds before. The reason lies much deeper."

"Because of Czerka," Venar suggested.

"Ah! And what of Czerka?"

"The Republic has trade deals with Czerka," Venar said.

"Not only that, but Czerka also provides much of the weapons and military hardware the Republic uses in their fight against the Sith."

"You're saying that the Jedi won't intervene because they risk jeopardizing the Republic military contracts with Czerka?" Bastila asked incredulously.

"Exactly that," Jolee confirmed.

"I refuse to believe that," Bastila said. "There must be more to it than that."

"Believe what you like," Jolee huffed. "Makes no difference to me. I'm just a crazy old man in the woods after all. But I'll tell you one thing, you'd do yourself a lot of favors if you start questioning what the Jedi tell you."

"And why are you so critical of the Jedi," Bastila asked. "What did they do to you that gave you this grudge?"

"That's my business."

"Yet you seem pretty intent on poking your nose in the business of others," she said flatly.

"I don't think we need to-" Venar started to say.

"No that's a fair shot," Jolee said, stopping and turning to face them. "If you must know, the Jedi abandoned me. They left me, when I needed them the most, and that's all you're going to get out of me on this." He eyed them for a moment, then turned and swung his lightsaber, cutting through a thick tangle of vines.