[sixteen]

All three of you were absolutely head over heels, over the moon in love with your little boy. You'd been able to bring him home the next day, just like you'd thought, and Maggie was the happiest you'd ever seen her.

Nikki and Dom had brought Maggie back to the hospital before you knew you'd be going home, and the first thing Maggie asked after skipping through the door was if she could hold her baby brother again. Tom was busy packing some of your things up, so you nodded, telling her to join you on the bed again, "Do you remember yesterday when daddy showed you how to hold him carefully?"

She nodded, brushing her long curls out of her face, "Umm I think so?"

"Okay, but I still need to help you, alright?" you asked, getting her situated next to you, "Can you show me what you remember?"

She paused for a moment before holding her arms like Tom had shown her yesterday. "Like this?" she asked, nose scrunching up in thought as she glanced up at you.

"Yes, perfect, love bug!" you leaned over and pressed a kiss to her head before grabbing one of the pillows on the bed, "Alright, we're gonna put this on your lap, and then you can hold August, but I'm staying right here, too."

Once she was just right, you placed the little boy in her arms, and didn't miss the way her eyes lit up once again. August was a bit more awake this time, and he blinked up at his big sister, eyes wide. She practically squealed with glee, "Mummy! He's looking at me!"

"Wow!" your lips pressed to her hair, smoothing down some of her flyaway curls, "I bet he recognizes your voice from when you talked to him in my tummy!"

"Really?!"

Though you didn't really know if that was true, you nodded seriously. Maggie wouldn't know the difference. "Really! Do you want to see something cool?"

"Yes!"

"Okay..." you murmured, reaching over and gently opening August's tiny fist, "Now, be so gentle, and put your finger on his hand."

She did as you said, moving as carefully as she could, not wanting to scare her baby brother. As she pressed her finger in his small palm, her eyes went wide behind her glasses as August grasped at her finger. Maggie let out a small gasp, her eyes darting to yours in excitement, "He's got my finger!"

"I see! It's so cool having a baby brother, isn't it?" you replied with a laugh, your heart swelling with love for you two little ones.

"Mhm!" she exclaimed, giggling wildly as she tried to pull her finger from his grasp and he wouldn't let go, "I can't wait to take him home! And I can snuggle with him, and play with him, and take him to the park, and..." She kept going, listing all of the things that she wanted to do with August.

Tom appeared over your shoulder and laughed a little, leaning down to press a kiss to the top of Maggie's head, "Well, you can't do all of that quite yet, love bug. But you'll be able to do all of it someday, I promise."

Maggie let out a small huff, but nodded after a moment, "Okayyyy. Mummy, you take him back?"

You let out a small snort, and scooped your little boy back up into your arms, leaning back against the other pillows in the bed. She scrambled off of the bed, running off in Tom's direction to 'help' him pack a few more of your things around the room. After a few moments of watching Maggie trail behind Tom, August began to fuss in your arms, and you turned your attention back to him.

"It's okay, baby," you whispered, pulling his face closer to yours to press a kiss to his forehead, "Shh, shh, shh... you're okay, my love. Are you hungry? Or need a new diaper? We'll be going home soon, don't worry, sweet boy."