to love, to risk, and to lie

Their city is corrupt

It's well known that Genesis, the capital of the East, is controlled by the powerful men and women behind the scenes that have earned their power through bloodshed. The political scene is controlled, the police are a joke, and every day citizens live in fear that the rumored war among these powerful men and women will come to fruition.

Kathleen, or Lena, is one such citizen. A paramedic, she sees the horrors this city can bring through the victims she cares for on a daily basis. She thinks she's seen it all until she witnesses an act she's only cared for in the aftermath of, at the hands of the King himself, one of the most feared and powerful men in the city.

Shockingly, her life is spared, and once words of this spreads, a growing undercover group called the Higher Ground approaches Lena, urging her to help them in their pursuit of overthrowing the King and his domain of terror - as a spy within his empire.

Reluctantly, Lena agrees, and soon finds herself thrown into a world she knew nothing of before. A world filled with betrayal, deceit, murder, drugs, and most shocking of all, stunning acts of loyalty and love. Love that she finds from the person she least expects.

But the stakes are high, and as plans of attack and sabotage are revealed to Lena from both sides of this coming war, she must choose where her true loyalties lie, and whether the truth is worth risking everything for.

Will Lena be able to survive this game long enough to learn how to play her own? And after all is said and done, will this pawn become a Queen?