Chapter twenty-one

Abbigail

It was late and I couldn't sleep after what happened in the church today. I was sitting in a bath with Shawn and she lightly trailed her fingers up and down my arms. I was finding it both relaxing and distracting. The occasional kiss on my neck was calming and I relax a little more.

I take Shawn's arms and wrap them around me. She kisses my temple and I let out a sigh. I rest my head back against the front of her shoulder and she caresses my stomach. The twins kick hard at her hands twice before calming down. I groan with relief from the immediate calming from the kicking and relax against Shawn. 

"How long have they been kicking like that," she asks with concern. 

"All day," I say in a relieved sigh. "They're fine when you're caressing or rubbing my stomach. It started when Shelby was growling in the church."

"Want me to make you warm milk with honey? That helped last time right," she asks softly. 

"Yes please, thank you," I say in a calming whisper. "Just five more minutes in the tub, please?"

"Whatever you need babe," she says softly, kissing my temple.

We sat in the tub for a few minutes in a comfortable silence. She gingerly massages my shoulders and I let out a relieved sigh. There was a knock at our bathroom door and Shawn lets them in. Shawn continues to rub my shoulders and I groan a relaxed sigh. 

"How are you feeling sweetheart," Joyce asks with concern. 

"Tired, but the babies won't calm down long enough for me to sleep. I can't have Shawn rub my stomach all night and not let her sleep."

"I was going to make her some warm milk with honey," Shawn says in a soothing tone and I groan as she massages my lower back. "It helped her last time she wasn't able to sleep because of the twins activity."

I feel Joyce's hand rubbing my stomach moments later while Shawn was massaging my back. The second Joyce starts rubbing, the twins calmed down and I shudder a relieved breath. "Shawn and Annie were like this too," she says in a soothing whisper. 

"Did it hurt," I ask in a breathy tone. 

"A little, but it went away when I felt calm. I used to get scared and they would kick hard until Henry helped me calm down," she says as she continues to rub my stomach. "What's scaring you sweetie?"

"Everything, but I don't want Shawn to change her job. I have Shelby and a secure home. I'm scared of today's events, Shawn used herself as a shield to block me from getting shot and she just got out of the hospital. I'm scared for these babies and that I won't be able to protect them. I'm scared for Beth and her baby," I choke in a scared whisper. 

I feel as Shawn kisses my temple, lightly rubs her hands up and down my arms and I let out a calming breath. "Mom, can you help me get her out of the tub before she falls asleep," Shawn asks softly as I lean all my weight against her.

"But I'm finally getting comfortable in the tub," I whine in protest and Joyce laughs. "Can I wear one of your shirts?"

"Honey, you know you don't have to ask," she says in a soothing tone and I nod lightly. "Can my mother help you out?"

I nod lightly and hold my hands out for Joyce. She gently helps me up and out of the tub. I feel the towel wrap around me and Joyce says softly, "I'll go make you some warm milk with honey."

"Thank you," I say quietly as she kisses my forehead. 

I feel as Shawn guides me to our room and sits me on the bed. Moments later I feel the towel being removed and one of her shirts being draped over my shoulders. I slip my arms in the sleeves and Shawn does the buttons for me. She helps me into a pair of underwear and a pair of her shorts.