Chapter 65: It's A Start In The Right Direction

Song Quote: Night Changes
"We're only getting older, baby And I've been thinking about it lately Does it ever drive you crazy Just how fast the night changes? Everything that you've ever dreamed of Disappearing when you wake up But there's nothing to be afraid of Even when the night changes It will never change me and you."
~~~

Third Person's Pov:
A thin lined smile broke out on (Y/n)'s face when the four ninja eagerly accepted her invitation.

It was as though the first nail has been hammered in the broken bridge.

Slowly rising to her feet, (Y/n) nods at them saying "Well, let me lock up the house and put these in a vase before we go." The bouquet slightly crinkled in her delicate grasp. The vibrant petals of the flowers suited her.

"Feel free to relax. I won't be long" She gestures to the matching sofas in the living room before heading to the kitchen.

Cole nods as he rose to his feet. "It's okay, take your time" he calls after her as the ninja took their seats. Each sitting two to a couch, Kai and Zane to one, Cole and Jay to another.

Echo followed after (Y/n) with some extra joy in his step. Helping her search the cupboards for a suitable vessel for the arrangement.

A silence falls over the room. Neither pleasant nor uncomfortable, yet they were still on edge.
It only just occurred to the four that they have no idea what to talk about to break this silence.

They could only focus on the shuffling sounds coming from the cabinets as stuff was being moved around.

Jay's leg was thumping as he looked at his phone to pass the time while Zane was looking at the decorations on the walls, smiling at the pictures including (Y/n), Dareth, Pixal and the nindroids.

Kai followed Zane's gaze and looked at them as well. Warmth conflicting with a pang of sadness when he's reminded that they don't have a lot of pictures with (Y/n) in them. Another reminder of lost time.

"Ah, I almost forgot-"

The ninja perked up at the sound of (Y/n)'s voice and watch her move to the fridge. She looks up and mutters "Excuse me Mindroid" as the nindroid moves his feet out of the way.

Grabbing a small box from inside the fridge, she brought it over to where they were. (Y/n) rips the blue lid off and sets the container on the coffee table for them to dig into.

"I bought some grapes today on a whim" she explains as they eye the container curiously. "Apparently they're supposed to taste like cotton candy instead of regular green grapes."

Jay instantly perks up at this, tossing his phone aside to grab some of the new treat.

"Thank you, but you don't have to go out of your way to serve us" Zane says politely as Cole and Kai take a grape to try.

"You are guests in my home, it's only right I offer you something while you wait" she says with a smile followed by a chuckle "Plus I feel like someone will nag me otherwise."

"These are so good! If only they made vegetables like this. I'd eat salads all the time" Jay beamed as he savored the snack.

"It's really sweet for a fruit" Cole adds in as he too savored the food.

Kai held one in his hand, inspecting the green grape closer. "It looks just like any other grape I've seen" he says before taking a bite.

"I don't care as long as it's good. Cotton candy or not" Cole shrugs and the fire ninja silently agrees.

Zane could only sit off to the side watching his friends enjoy the fruit. His newly upgraded titanium body doesn't seem built to ingest food, a feature he didn't think he would miss.