Chapter 10 Namkeen

Sidharth and his gang were resting on the bumper of Sidharth's taxi 1212 that had been parked right outside their chawl building.

The radio was playing on full volume and the katta( Sidharth's gang) were engaged in a lively conversation. Sidharth wasn't paying any heed to their conversation.

Prastut karte hain suprasidha film 'Souten' se yeh gaana...

shayad meri shaadi ka khayal dil mein aaya hai

Isiliye mummy ne meri tumhe chai pe bulaya hai

Sidharth heard the song and blushed profusely.

"Tujhya aai la..." Mangesh screamed and jumped up and down.

"Kai jhala[What happened?]"Dom asked him.

"Tyache gaal tamatar vaani lal-lal...[Look at him...his cheeks are red]" Mangesh tried to stifle his laughter but couldn't.

"Bagh Anwar[Watch]" Mangesh told Anwar to pay attention to Sidharth.

However Sidharth was completely oblivious to everything. He was stretched on the bonnet of the taxi, shaking his foot to the beat of the song. He was alternatively blushing and smiling away to glory.

Once the song finished, Sidharth's trance broke.

"Abey kya?" Sidharth asked his mandali as they stared back at him.

"Shayad teri shaadi ka khayal dil mein aaya hai...Isiliye mummy ne meri tujhe chai pe bulaya hai" the men sang completely off-tune, clapping their hands and dancing randomly.

"Abey kya bey!" Sidharth repeated the same dialogue, scratching his neck but blushing yet again.

"Sujata teacher ko bola?" Anwar asked once they stopped.

"Haan bola!" Sidharth's smile dimmed a little.

"Kya boli teacher?" Dominic asked.

"She wants to meet Shehnaaz,"Sidharth said.

"So what is the problem? A mother would want to meet her son's prospective life partner," Anwar explained.

"I understand, but I still can't handle the sense of disappointment mummy feels. She has been the same since I left the office job. Can't my own mother respect my choices?" Sidharth asked in a forlorn tone.

"Being a parent is a tough job. Sujata Teacher has been through a lot in her life. She had her hopes pinned on you, so it's natural that she expects the best for you," Anwar explained to Sidharth but Sidharth had already gone into his overthinking mode.

"Aye Mantya itna serious kayaku? Apun ko lekar chal na saath main! Apun suit boot pahen kar chalenga!Ladki wale phul impressed!" Mangesh stiffened his arms and tried to imitate a sophisticated gait, looking absolutely funny.

Sidharth and the others grinned. But Mangesh wasn't done yet. He took Anwar's towel and covered Dom's head and started singing a famous song from a famous Marathi movie.

Tujhi maajhi jodi jamali ga

Ashi jhakkaas poragi patali,

Tujhi maajhi jodi jamali ga

Ashi jhakkaas poragi patali

Gori gori, kori kori

Ishkaachi not hi watali

Laadigodi ashi kelis tu ki

Patang maajhi katali

Laadigodi ashi kelis tu ki