56: On Deadly Ground

"There's something in the ground, Kyō."

Satsujin chuckles darkly, "behold, this is my Demon Blood Art: Carnivorous Soil!" He reveals.

Kyōjurō's eyes narrowed in question, "carnivorous soil?" His eyes glancing down at the rippling ground.

The redness of it made it appear like an ocean of blood; its texture seemed similar to mud.

"To simply put it; anything of organic material that comes in contact with my soil, will instantly be devoured!" The foul demon explains.

"However, in addition, if the blood of a human or animal is healthy, the soil has the capability to produce any plant, for instance; a beautiful flower." Satsujin cackles.

Your eyes widen at this as you completely understood; so, that's what he'd meant by make you and Kyojuro apart of his so-called garden!

"Let's say you, my dear boy?!" The demon pointed towards Kyōjurō.

Suddenly, two tendrils of sand sprouted from the ground, both leaking a bloody stream of blood and mud, "Let's see what flower will you make!?"

Immediately, the bloody tendrils came straight for Kyōjurō!

"Kyō!" You exclaimed, just as the flame Hashira drew his blade from the hold.

"Get down, my love!" He tells you and you immediately did as told as you both kneel side by side.

With sickening clash, Kyōjurō manages to block one of the tendrils and you, the other. He hears a pained moan from you─that worries him, but he can't let his focus go away from the battle yet.

"Are you okay, (Name)?!"

"Y-yea!" You reassured him, the stinging pain in you bleeding ankle was the cause of your discomfort.

Gritting his teeth, Kyōjurō is fast to predict his next move, and slices the tendril, forcing it to back off for the time being. He glanced briefly towards you, seeing you swing your naginata like a baseball bat and hacking off a tendril, and Kyōjurō was greatly impressed by your ability to improvise.

Oddly, it felt like stabbing into flesh rather than soil as blood thickly poured from its gushing wounds. The air is thick with the copper smell of iron and wet ground as more tendrils emerged out of ground.

"I'm curious. Though your fiery appearance suggests a gloriosa lily, then again, I'm thinking a tiger lily? Very flammable those things, hohoho!" Satsujin cackles, before turning his demonic eyes towards you.

"And you, my dear. I'm very curious to see what lovely flower you'll be?" He gives you heated look whilst licking his lips.

You felt the need to vomit at that as a tendril shot your way. You reacted quickly by conjuring up a solid wall of ice─shielding you and your lover from harm.

The bloody tendrils pounded against it, trying to break it, however it only caused more ice to appear. Yet, it wouldn't hold for much longer. At least, it gave you and Kyōjurō some time to think of a plan.

You just have to find an opening to get close to Satsujin. If only you can get pass that carnivorous soil. Apparently, seems to be his only defense.