chapter 36

Friday, 16th December –

Stage One: Breakfast

When they entered the next morning, the great hall looked magnificent. Silvery tinsel lining the walls, frost-blanketed Christmas trees towering behind the teachers' table with bright baubles and sparkling stars alike, gleaming white snow drifting down from the enchanted ceiling, warm and dry as it landed on those below.

The Marauders got there early, before the golden plates and cups that covered all four tables were even filled, and watched intently as more and more students entered the hall. Waiting for the chaos to begin.

When Dumbledore waved his hand and the morning feast appeared – stacks of toast, bowls of porridge and beans and scrambled eggs, platters of sausages and bacon that James would avoid and, integrally, goblets brimming with sweet pumpkin juice – they didn't touch a thing. Too restless and excited to eat just yet.

As if that in itself was enough to rouse suspicion, Lily leaned over the table towards them.

"What have you lot done?" she asked tiredly.

"Good morning to you too, Evans," Sirius smirked. "Don't you worry – all will become clear soon... Pumpkin juice?"

He pushed a goblet towards her, which she eyed mistrustfully before shaking her head and turning back to Dorcas.

Across the hall, James spotted Regulus coming in; his heart did a funny skittery thing. Catching the younger boy's eye, he tapped the goblet and winked. Even from the other side of the room, he could see that Regulus was rolling his eyes.

That was when Gilderoy Lockhart – a particularly annoying and ostentatious Ravenclaw from third year – stood right up on the bench. Eyes wide, he drew himself up, spread his arms and opened his mouth to belt:

"There's a spell to make somebody freeze,

Or make something disappear!

There's a spell for wiping memories,

There's a spell to bring you cheer!"

A Christmas song by the iconic Celestina Warbeck. Some surrounding pupils sat back and watched, amused, whilst others grimaced and covered their ears. At first, it seemed that they assumed this was just Lockhart being Lockhart. James didn't blame them.

But then, Madeline Parkinson from Slytherin rose from her seat. Followed by William Davies, Vicky Collymore, Evan Rosier, Joanne Wilkes, Lara Osborne and Pandora Lestrange, both sixth year Hufflepuffs who led the others a choreographed jig, and a large handful of pupils from every house that James couldn't name.

Even Severus bloody Snape, to his absolute elation, got up on the table and flicked his greasy hair behind him as they all joined in...

"BUT WHEN IT COMES TO MAGIC THAT I LOVE BEST,

OUTSHINING THE REST,

IT'S TIME TO CONFESS,

OUT OF ALL THE CHARMS THAT RING MY BELL,

THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A HOLIDAY SPELL!"

The Marauders clapped and cheered as they chanted all the way to the end of the song, then immediately started on another. Over half of the students in the hall were up now, as well as Professors Flitwick, Bukhari and Slughorn.

McGonagall was glaring over at them, but there was nothing she could do to prove it was they were the culprits. Especially not with James and Sirius leaping up to sing along, partly to keep their cover and partly because it just looked too fun.

The Warbling Draught had worked a charm.

Stage One was complete.

Stage Two: First Lesson