A Proper Education: Chapter Sixteen

Domestics poured into the sleeping quarters, waking everyone by banging large pots with ladles.

It was a jarring, unsettling way to stir from dreaming, and the children were so shocked and confused that they didn't question when the older among them were separated and led away by the domestics.

Credence had been too terrified and angry to return to her bed, but her absence went entirely unnoticed as a throng of students were marched into the washing room, which was the place she had chosen to hide. She quickly joined the group, acting like she had been with them the whole time, and her confusion was just as real as the rest.

Huddled together and still rubbing the dreams from their eyes, the students were silently instructed by the domestics to bathe before being handed clothing to wear. The uniform was different from the usual brown pants and shirt; a white tunic with a large, black "S" stitched over the left shoulder. The tunic fell past the ankles of most, though a few were tall enough to shorten its length to their calf.

Once everyone had donned their unusual costume, they were led right past the room for breakfast and ushered outside into the courtyard. There was already a group waiting, all wearing the same white tunic and blinking under the morning sun. The only ones spared the upheaval in routine were the younger children like Tildy, who were no doubt still lounging in their beds without an older student to remind them to get dressed. There must have been at least fifty children congregating outside, and Credence quickly found a group of her classmates and joined them, standing next to Gregory and Lily and another girl with red hair whose name she could never remember.

The world had changed for Credence. The terrible truth of the school and its Headmaster had been discovered only hours ago, and she could think of nothing else. She looked at the bodies huddled close.

We must look like livestock, she thought grimly. We've never been anything more here.

Her eyes found Penny, who was standing at attention, purposefully away from anyone she knew.

She was staring at Credence with a look of furious danger, like her eyes were a blade meant to pierce skin. Credence returned the threatening glare with a look of sympathy.

She knew the horrible truth of what was happening to the girl.

She didn't know if she'd ever get the chance to explain the peril Penny was in, or if the girl would believe her.

Worse yet, Credence didn't know if there was any way to save her.

Penny lifted a finger to her lips, a warning that Credence should keep her mouth shut at all cost. Credence stepped towards her, hoping for a moment to speak, but a voice boomed across the courtyard and stopped her movement.

"Good morning, students!"

"Good morning, Headmaster!"

Credence tore her eyes from Penny to look at the Headmaster, who was standing atop a wooden bench to address the crowd. He looked well-rested and positively glowing with merriment.

The sight of him roused her disgust.

She wondered if he'd recently fed from his secret supply.

Imposter, she thought.

She wondered what might happen if she screamed the truth now and alerted everyone to the fact that he was not human and had the real Headmaster trapped in his room.

"No doubt some of you are questioning what sort of day is ahead, with a morning like this."

A scattered murmur of agreement answered him.