Chapter 1

Your mom thought that your bicycle looked ridiculous with two cup holders affixed to the handlebars but as long the two caffeinated drinks from JavaHaüs remained un-spilled, you didn't care about looking a little dumb. 

You pedal faster through the dark suburb and steer your bike over a dip in the sidewalk, letting the wheels coast onto the lawn of your best friends' house. Resting your bicycle against a tree in the backyard, you quickly remove your sweaty "JavaHaüs" hoodie and shove it in your backpack, swinging the bag over your shoulder. You remove the two cups from the handlebars and make your way to the only window illuminated by the slow colour change of LED lights.

You tap on the basement window with the rubber sole of your shoe and wait a few seconds before hitting the window again, this time harder and more quickly, "Oi!"

The window slides open and you see the glare of Mark's glasses as he cranes his neck to look up at you, "Quiet down! If my parents catch us down here at this hour, they will ground me until I graduate."

Rolling your eyes, you click your tongue and squat down to the ground to hand Mark the cups before speaking in a hushed tone, "Oh, I'm sorry your highness. Forgive me for my rowdy insolence. Please take this offering from the JavaHaüs as my sincerest apologies."

Mark narrows his eyes, his fingers resting on the window sill, "That didn't sound sincere at all."

"It wasn't," you deadpanned. "Now, take these," you shake the cups, the ice cubes inside rattling against the plastic.

Mark raises a brow, grabbing the drinks and placing them inside, "You make 'em?"

You throw your arms up in exasperation and hiss, "Of course I did! And yes, I used oat milk. Now let me in before the bugs eat me alive out here."

"Backpack," he requests, his hand open and arm outstretched. You comply and hand him your bag before reaching into the basement, grasping the top of the window frame, and sliding your body through the opening. You step on the carpeted basement floor, the fabric muffling the sound of your landing.

The basement is unfinished but surprisingly cozy. Mark decorated the drywall with old anime posters that used to be in his room, LED strips he ordered online, and a relatively clean couch that you and Mark had carried out of an enormous trash pile while being chased by feral cats. The glow of a TV with a thick plastic backing lights up the room: the "Stardew Valley" menu is on the screen and soft theme music plays from the speakers.

You flop onto the couch with a smile and Mark unceremoniously drops your backpack on your chest before sitting down next to you.

"Get your Switch out, we have much harvesting to do!" Mark says with a grin, excitedly grabbing his console.

You can't help but chuckle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Woof, so much for escapism." you snort, as you watch Mark's character give an NPC a gift only for an angry scribble to appear over her head.

"How was I supposed to know that Abigail hates strawberries?" Mark asks, throwing his arms up over his head, his console resting on his knees.

You look down at the screen between your hands, "She hates fruit," you say with a shrug. Your avatar gives Abigail an amethyst and a heart appears over her head. You grin before turning to Mark and playfully sticking your tongue out at him.

Mark grumbles, his brows drawn together in a deep frown, "That's it! I'm checking the wiki!" Mark reaches into his pocket to pull out his phone.

You lunge towards your friend, slapping his hands away from his phone, "Stop! No! Don't check the wiki! You have no gaming integrity, I swear." You try to reach for the device in an effort to take it from Mark.

Mark yanks his arm away from your prying fingers, "What the hell do you know about gaming integrity?"

You whine, "C'mon man. It's supposed to be a learning curve, the more you play and try different things, the more you improve." You continue to reach for the phone, "You're going to spoil the experience!"

Your knees press against Mark's thigh, one of your hands rests on his shoulder while your other tries to get his phone. Frequently missing, your fingertips graze the inside of Mark's forearm and wrist. Mark feels his face warm up at your proximity and touch: your profile in full view, your tongue slightly sticking out of your mouth in concentration. Your face... too close for Mark's comfort. "Fine!" He drops the phone and it bounces on the couch cushion, "Gimme my coffee."

You quickly back off to get the drink, Mark lets out a quiet breath and hopes his blush fades before you place the cold coffee in his open palm. Mark takes a sip, silently wishing that the ice will cool his face down.

It's eerily quiet in the basement, save for the game music. 

You don't seem to notice.

The ice doesn't have its desired effect and what Mark believes to be an uncomfortable silence makes the heat spreading across his cheeks worse. Mark finishes the last of his drink before trying to bring up a subject of conversation, "So, if I'm trying to romance Abigail in-game, who are you going for?" 

Mark inwardly slaps himself across the face: in-game romance? Really?

"Sebastian," you answer quickly without looking up from the screen.

Mark turns to look at you, your eyes affixed to the game between both your hands. He clicks his tongue and rolls his eyes before crossing his arms across his chest, "Typical, the cool emo-looking NPC with a motorcycle."

Your thumbs move downward to press the "HOME" button. You place your console in your lap before turning toward your friend, "I dunno, I guess he's pretty great? He's always like, hey farmer do you like comic books? Or, hey farmer I read this book that made me think of you! Hey farmer, come play a game with me and my friends! I don't know, he sounds like someone I would want to spend time with," you finish with a shrug. You feel your phone in your pocket vibrate against your hip.

Mark frowns, his mouth agape. Your description sounded a lot like the friendship you both shared. Mark swallows. Is this really happening? Is this finally happening?

Your phone vibrates again.

You had never really given Mark any indication that you wanted to pursue anything other than friendship. Then again, Mark had never overtly told you that he was interested in you romantically either. In his defense, Mark felt that he was expressing his affection in his own way and was never good at being straightforward: you knew that.

Maybe, maybe, this was your way of saying that you knew about his feelings and that you felt the same? Mark couldn't be sure. You could be saying that you had a crush on David, for all he knew.

The thought of you and David together made his heart sink. Mark wished he could run to the bathroom to vomit at the thought.

You turn your head to one side, "You good?" you ask your unusually quiet friend.

Mark clears his throat, his chest feels tight and his face feels warm again. He grits his teeth and his hands curl into fists, "Yeah, it's just, do you ever think –"

Your phone buzzes twice in quick succession.

Mark slams his fists onto the couch in annoyance, "– do you ever think you're going to answer that?"

You slip your phone out of your pocket. Your eyes widen, and you immediately stand upright. "Oh shit. It's almost 1 am! We've been playing for hours and my mom is looking for me!" You scramble to grab your backpack, rushing to make your way to the window, "Help me get out!"

Mark's legs wobble under him when he stands up from the couch. He helps to lift you by grabbing you around the legs and you make your way through the opening.

Crawling out of the open window, you turn back to look at Mark and whisper, "See you at school tomorrow!"

Mark waves, waits for you to be out of sight before sliding the window shut. He makes his way back to the couch and lies down on his back, pressing the heels of his hands into his eyes until he can see stars.

"What the hell was I thinking!"

AN: Stardew Valley is a gateway drug. Sorry you had to find out this way.