Chapter 17

Brayden

Lou walked into the room, without even knocking. Although, I couldn't blame her as the door was technically open. She had her gray hair up in a bun today, with a few loose strands framing her round face. Her face was bare of any makeup, and she was dressed modestly. Fitted jeans and plain t-shirt somehow looked professional on her with her pearl necklace and matching earrings.

Once I see her, I push Damien away.

"Lou!" I greet happily, eagerly grabbing the bag of food.

She smiles at me before shaking her head at my earnestness to eat.

Opening the bag I quickly dig out an egg sandwich. My mouth instantly waters at the smell of slightly burned, and overly greased food. Over the crinkling of the bag, I hear Lou sigh at my enthusiasm in opening the bag.

"Did you eat today?" she asks in a concerned tone.

I look up at her and roll my eyes as I begin to stuff my mouth with the sandwich. My fingers and face get covered in grease as I devour the food.

"Define today," I mumble out through a full mouth, while simultaneously reaching for one of the paper coffee cups in her hand. She gives me a pointed look and purses her lips into a thin line, before pulling her hand out of my reach. I make a noise of distress as she doesn't let me have my coffee.

"We've talked about this Brayden, you can't just live on caffeine and expect to function properly," she berates. I don't meet her eyes, not liking the disappointment I can clearly see on her face.

"It's not my fault!" I say, quick to defend myself, "Evie ate my lunch yesterday, and during dinner, Charlie dropped his peanut butter sandwich on the floor and refused to eat it. I had offered to switch with him, but after I had handed him mine, Charlotte dropped her orange juice on the floor, soaking the food!"

I can see she wants to stay mad at me, but her bright eyes and the slight crinkle around her eyelids give away the laughter she's trying to hold in. With a resigned huff, she hands me my drink.

Taking the cup, I hear Damien clear his throat. He's standing off to the side slightly behind me, and for the first time all night, his gaze is not on me but on Lou.

"How do you know him?" Damien asks, in a gruff voice. His tone and tense muscles did nothing to hide his irritation at the woman.

Lou takes this time to look over at Damien with a cold expression.

Wait...is she glaring at him or is that my imagination?

"It's none of your concern whose company I keep. Let alone how we met," she responds with a huff.

My eyes widen at her brazen act of dismissal.

Did she just defy him? The guy who everyone seems to bow down to in this town.

I sip my coffee. My pace of eating has slowed, as my eyes widen at the scene in front of me. It was quite comical to watch. Lou is a small five-foot woman standing unintimidated in front of the giant that is Damien Radcliffe. The standoff in front of me is intense. Neither person is willing to back down, and the tension in the room rises as their eyes remain locked on each other.

I take another bite of my sandwich.

Lou is the first to break the staring contest, but it doesn't look as if she has submitted. Instead, she turns her full attention back to me.

"Any other dietary restrictions I need to know for tonight?" she asks, completely disregarding Damien's brooding from right behind her.

I think for a moment, "Well, in terms of diet, you already know I'm vegetarian, but the other kids aren't. Marcus is lactose intolerant though," I answer, trying to rack my brain for anything else.