Chapter 16

Chapter 16:

Joel sat with his back against the wall, Ellie in his arms. She'd fallen asleep several hours ago, on his lap, and he'd been too tired to move her. Joe tried to stay awake, waiting for word on Devin. He didn't exactly love the kid, but he felt bad for him. Really bad. He didn't deserve to have something like that happen to him. He seemed to be a pretty decent guy.

The door squeaked open, and the Doc walked out. Joel looked up at him, and he looked back down at him.

The rain sprinkled softly, and Joel knew for sure that Winter was getting close. He, Tommy, Houser and Jesus walked along through the woods, hunting for food. Joel groaned at the pain in his back. He'd been sleeping in a real bed, but the mattress was as hard as a rock and Joel's back was suffering for it. But it was better than sleeping on the floor, and Joel never forgot to count his blessings.

"Psst, guys. Over there." Joel, Tommy, and Jesus moved over to Houser, who was looking out on a small farm. Joel eyed it carefully, and listened closely. He listened for any tell-tale signs of infected, and heard several clicking and screeching noises emanating from the small barn to their left. Joel motioned towards it. "Sounds like there's infected in the barn." Tommy nodded his head. "You think there might be supplies in that house?" Houser sounded anxious. Joel knew he hated being outside the walls of the Hilltop, and couldn't help but feel a little of pity for the guy.

"It's worth a shot." Jesus said before slowly creeping forward, followed by the others. They moved stealthily, not making a sound. For what felt like hours, the group moved forward, not making a sound. Soon, they were on the front porch. Joel grabbed the doorknob, and pushed the door open. Joel walked in, and stepped into what looked like a kitchen. He was met by a hand wrapping around his neck. Joel's first instinct was to jump back against the wall, slamming whoever was holding him into it. Then he gripped a handful of hair, and flipped the person over his shoulder, and onto the floor. A woman looked up at him, Glock trained on his head. Joel held the M1911 at her, and they stood there, still as a statue.

"Drop it." He heard someone say, he glanced to his left to see a guy with a shaved head pointing a shotgun at him. Tommy had his rifle trained on the guy's back. Another guy with long brunette hair hanging down and a beanie on stood with machete in left hand and pistol in his right, looking nervous.

"Who the hell are you?" The guy with the shaved head asked. "We didn't know the place was occupied, looking for food to give our people." Tommy said calmly. The woman's eyes flicked to Tommy. "There's more of you guys? Like a civilization?" Tommy nodded his head. The woman held her left, fingerless gloved clad hand up. "Put down the gun Josh. This could be what we're looking for." Shaved-head looked as if he'd just been slapped. "What?"

"Just...do it." She lowered her gun. Josh did the same, the guy with the long hair holstered his gun and set his machete on the counter.

The woman stood up, brushed herself off and held out a hand. "Name's Rebecca." Joel looked her up and down. She was clad in dark blue jeans, a white tank-top under a denim jacket, and combat boots. Her hair shoulder-length, choppy black hair was covered by a grey beanie. Reluctantly, Joel shoved his 9mm into his waistband and held out his hand. Rebecca shook it, then pointed over to the guy with the long hair. "That's Jamie. He's my cousin so, be nice."

Joel looked over spat Jamie, who grinned and nodded his head in the direction of Joel. Joel looked at the three survivors. "So you've just jebel staying here?" Rebecca grinned.

"Yeah. Shit-load of game in the area too. Haven't worried about food for weeks." Joel looked over at Tommy. Tommy looked back. Joel motioned towards the front door. "And what about the infected in the barn?" Rebecca shrugged and hopped onto the counter. "There was a whole pack on the farm when we showed up. We got their attention and drew them into the barn. Locked the doors. Haven't had to worry about them. As long as we don't make too much noise we're fine."