The Rumours...

A/N

SPECIAL THANKS to @-thiflath- for creating this elegant front page for my book and also allowing me to use it!

**************************************

The young ruler of Arkesia stood inside the magnificent garden which adorned the front yard of the Elder's house, waiting for him to meet him there. The golden rays of the rising sun fell on him and made the embedded diamonds of his crown gleam and glisten with its soft touch. He was drawn in his thoughts, he could not get his mind out of what he had heard from his little brother Edmond and Queen Thanaliya at suppertime last night.
......

"Brother, did you hear the rumours which have spread from Elder Eckard's neighbourhood?" Prince Edmond had asked him while he was passing his favourite minced chicken dish. "Rumours?" King Zeeran lifted a brow at him. "What do you mean?"
"People are saying that Elder Eckard is going to leave our kingdom." Prince Edmond said with a sigh and shook his head. "I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I haven't seen him much in the palace these days. I'm worried that he has stopped visiting us lately."

"He informed me a few days ago that he is unwell and that he will not be able to attend the meetings at the palace for a while." King Zeeran told him. "I've appointed Healer Fahan and one of our nurses at the palace to check on his health condition every day, and I heard from them that he is getting better."

"Your Majesty," Queen Thanaliya said as she filled his goblet with some more red wine. "I heard from my trusted maid Wilma that his servants have been packing his things for some days now. And I hear that his carriages are parked at his front yard as if they are about to leave."

"Well, it is probably a villager gossip, my dear." The King said as he took a sip of his drink with a thoughtful look on his face. "He would have surely told me if he is planning to leave." With that, he got up from the dining table without finishing his meal and went to the royal library where he used to get lessons from Elder Eckard two years ago. And the words he had said on the day he had taught his last lesson echoed in his ears once again. "I've fulfilled your father's last desire, Your Highness." He had said in his deep voice. "Now I wish to be free from all the royal responsibilities."

.......

"Ahm..." He heard someone clearing their throat behind him and turned around to face the wise old man who stood behind him with the help of a supportive stick. King Zeeran's face brightened up as soon as he saw him.  "Oh, how I missed your presence at the palace, my dear Elder Eckard!" He said as he quickened his pace towards the Elder, and the old man chuckled at him in a low rumbling voice. "You sound as if you had a difficult time at the palace, Your Majesty!" Elder noted him.

"Of course, you proved to me once again that I and my people will not survive without your precious guidance, dear Elder." King Zeeran stated with a smile.
"That can't be true, Your Majesty." The Elder denied his remark in a firm voice. "I'm sure that I've taught you everything about ruling a kingdom, and all of your lessons ended two years ago."
"Yes, you are right." The King said with a nod of his head. "Still, you have to accept that I need you beside me to watch over my steps."

"Pardon me, Your Highness." The Elder said. "You have to understand that I can't be there for you all the time. I've reached my retirement age, and I wish to have an ordinary life now...  A life free from all the royal responsibilities. I believe I've talked about this to you a few years ago."

"What do you mean, Elder?" King Zeeran asked in an alarmed voice.
"I imply that I have decided to leave the Capital City of Arkesia, Your Majesty." The exact words the ruler dreaded to hear all these times came out of his mentor's lips as if they meant nothing to him.