chapter 3

D A N C I N G

Piercing open my eyes I lowly groaned, turning onto my side

Piercing open my eyes I lowly groaned, turning onto my side. Big mistake. The bright sunlight burned my retinas through my eyelids.

I covered my head with the sheets and two minutes later my siren like alarm went off.

I dragged my body into the bathroom. I used the toilet, washed my hands and brushed my teeth.

Still in my pajamas, I headed downstairs and heard the clinking of pots and pans. I slowly stepped down the last step, craning my neck around the corner.

I couldn't contain my smile as I saw my dad failing at making breakfast.

Smoke came out of the pot on the stove while the water in the other overflowed.

"Daddy?" I softly say, trying to hide my smile. He spins around with big, bug eyes and sighs.

"Nirah," he says and I rush over to turn off the stove before he burns our damn house down. "I was trying to cook breakfast, and I- it didn't go well- it's not going well," he breathlessly stutters.

"It's okay," I smile, kissing his cheek. "Who needs breakfast anyway?" I frown, picking up a piece of burnt toast.

"I guess I'll just have to go out and get us coffee and donuts then..." he says and I nod.

"Coffee and donuts are the only things that'll fix this," I smile and we both burst out into a small laugh.

I start emptying out the pot of water into the sink while he cleans up the counter top.

"I wanted to apologize," he says and my body tenses. "Yesterday. I disappointed you... I know."

"You lost your job, didn't you?" I ask turning around and he drops his head.

Ninty percent of his relapses are because of him loosing his jobs.

"I know I said that I'd get better and this will all be over but I just couldn't control it this time."

"I can't keep working two jobs, doing school work and coming home to take of you and the house anymore," I shake my head. "I'm so, so tired," I sigh and I can tell he's feeling guilty.

"I know, but please understand, Nirah," he says walking towards me. "This is my third job in a month, it's been rough for me."

I swallow hard.

It's been hard for you dad?

"I'll find a job soon, okay? And I won't fuck it up this time," he nods and I show him a closed mouth smile.

"Okay," I nod and he pulls me into his arms.

I wrap my arms around his waist and he kisses the top of my head.

"Two chocolate coated donuts?" he says and I can't help but smile.

"Add a jelly filled one and you're completely forgiven," I nod and we let go.