Epilogue

"I'm freezing," Ivana said, "and did we have to travel by dragon? It's cold up here."

"You know you really are turning into an old woman," Zuko teased.

"I'm 74 years old. I am an old woman and you're an old man," she pointed out. Ivana held onto Zuko tighter as they rode to the Southern Water Tribe on Druk. She was just getting around to visiting the new Avatar, while Zuko had rescued her a few months before from the Red Lotus.

"You'd think in the fifty years we've been married, you'd stop nagging me," Zuko huffed.

"Someone's got to, my love."

"We're almost there and it will be a short visit. We'll be home before the grandchildren miss us."

"I know. It's just at our age we should be home with the kids."

"I miss them too, dear," Zuko sighed.

"At least we can see Katara and Sokka."

Zuko nodded. Soon he landed Druk inside the compound that the waterbenders had created to protect Korra since her kidnapping. To Ivana, it looked like a prison, but they needed to keep her safe. Zuko dismounted and helped Ivana down. She grabbed her cane and stood next to him as Katara came out to greet them.

"You got older," Ivana teased before giving her a hug.

"So did you," Katara laughed. "It's good to see you both." She gave Zuko a hug before leading them inside.

"I heard she's feisty."

"That's an understatement," Katara laughed.

"You must be exhausted," Ivana smiled.

Katara nodded. "What about you two? In your letter, you said Quin's wife just had their first baby."

"Yes, a boy. He's a handsome little thing. Quin's doing well with fatherhood. We couldn't be more proud," Zuko said, smiling proudly.

"That's wonderful," Katara smiled, leading them down a hallway. Ivana jumped when a sudden blast of water knocked down the door in front of Katara. Four-year-old Korra ran through.

"She nearly gave me a heart attack," Ivana said, putting a hand to her chest. Zuko put an arm around her to keep her steady..

"Korra, what are you doing?" Katara asked.

"Running away!" Korra grinned, running down the hallway. A man and woman came out of the room. The man chased after Korra while the woman bowed to Zuko and Ivana.

"I'm so sorry for her behavior. She just has so much energy," the woman sighed.

"This Senna, Korra's mother," Katara introduced. "You remember Lord Zuko, Senna. This is his wife, Ivana."

"Nice to meet you," Senna said.

"It's nice to meet you as well, dear. Honey, why don't you go help capture the Avatar? Just like the good old days," Ivana teased. Zuko frowned but walked quickly in the direction where Korra had disappeared. "You'd think he'd be thrilled to relive his glory days." Ivana laughed.

Katara laughed before going into the room Korra had just broken out of. It was a small cafeteria of sorts. A small fire with a pot hanging over it flickered in the middle of the room with two long tables on either side. Sokka sat at one of the tables, a bowl of sea prunes in front of him.

"Ivana!" Sokka said happily. "Where's your jerkbending husband?"

Ivana rolled her eyes with a smile. "Chasing the Avatar, what else?"

"Ah, just like the good old days. Sit. Have some sea prunes."

"You know I hate those things," Ivana said, sitting down across from him. Katara sat next to her brother as Zuko returned. He took a seat next to Ivana.

"Did you catch the Avatar, honey?"

"Yes. Her parents are taking her to bed for a nap," Zuko sighed. "I'm too old to be chasing Avatars." Ivana, Katara, and Sokka laughed.

"It's good to see you. Here I thought you'd be retired by now."

"I'm still plenty capable of running my nation. What about you? You're chief now. Aren't you ready to retire yet?"

"I'll retire when I'm dead."

"So, how are the kids, Katara?"

"Well, Kya moved back home. Tenzin is getting married in a few months and Bumi just got promoted. All in all, they're doing well. How are your children? Still arguing at every turn?"

"They inherited their mother's stubbornness," Zuko said, shaking his head. Ivana shot him a glare while Sokka laughed. "But they're doing fine. Quin's starting his family, Izumi is well on her way to being Firelord one day. Lu Ren is working in republic city with Toph's daughter and the twins are teaching the next generation of firebenders. We're very proud."

"Don't forget we're swimming in grandchildren these days," Ivana said, giving a tired sigh.

"You're the one who wanted to have "one more baby" three times!" Zuko huffed.

"You didn't seem to put up much of a fight," Ivana huffed, throwing her hands in the air, "I mean you couldn't keep-"

"It's nice to see you two are still as lively as ever," Katara interrupted, afraid of how the sentence would end.

"Yeah, 'lively'," Sokka said, chuckling.

"Whatever," Zuko said, rolling his eyes.

"Careful, your angst is showing," Ivana teased.

"You're awful."

"You love me and you know it."

"I do," Zuko smiled, kissing her cheek.

"Ugh, you guys are giving me the oogies." 

(I finally finished the epilogue. It's not as long as I'd like, but this is the best I've got right now. I tried writing about a different time in their lives like when they got engaged, married, or pregnant, but that seemed so boring and kinda typical. I tried placing it when Zuko helps with Zaheer as well, but that didn't fit either. I ultimately chose my original idea. I really wanted to write Ivana as an old lady. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it!)