A Book To Read

You're currently sitting at a cafe located at the north west of your humble town, a large cup of warm drink in front of you, it's aroma calming your senses. Your friend who's passionately rambling about something was also sitting parallel from you. In her side of table was a book with a rather eye-catching cover but you didn't bother looking any further since your friend got all your attention. If otherwise, she'd smack you in your head with the mentioned book. 

"You should really read it Y/n!" She said for the 20th time that day, her eyes sparkling as she urged you again and again to join the bandwagon. Your friend, the closest one you have and has been with you since elementary, was one of the countless people who had urged you to read a certain book. That book was a new rising novel for bookworms and teens alike. 

"I don't know Sarah, should I?" You didn't miss the chance to tease her but all it did was to make her eyes sparkle more than it already was. She immediately pulled the book beside her drink and literally shoved it to you with such vigor you wished she had when it comes to learning education.

"Oh you really should my dear friend. It's time for you to stop living under a stone and join us with enjoying what's popular!" Even her speech turned somewhat sophisticated or rather a bit different from her usual vocabulary. 

You laughed before taking the book she forced upon your face and took a look again, this time more intently as you assessed the book cover. You saw it everywhere, almost every girl in your school and town has this book for whatever reason there is. You don't know how this book managed to charm everyone. You admit, the cover is eye-catching and the plot, no matter how overused, is still a welcomed cliche. 

Maybe it isn't a bit late for you to join, especially when your friend is shoving it to your face. And very importantly, so you can understand what the other people are rambling so excitedly about. 

"You're right Sarah. You convinced me enough with your non-stop babbling." You said, continuing to observe the thick book. You know you're going to spend a lot of time reading this piece of work but whatever. 

"It's not babbling!" Sarah huffed but lit up anyways, "I'm sure you'll like it, one of the characters has the same name and look as yours!"

"Really?" This got your attention, though faux since you already know that fact. Many girls had told you already but you didn't tell your friend, you don't want to spoil her excitement in convincing you. 

"Yes! Why won't you look at this," She plucked the book from your hands and hastily flipped to a page. She then showed you what's the content. "See? Y/n L/n. Same hair, same eyes."

It's the character illustration page and Sarah is pointing at a certain art. It's a girl with the same exact features as you, although of course, in an anime version. Just as Sarah said, she had the same hair color, the same hair style, the same eyes and the same name and surname. Everything is the same. Of course you didn't mind it, there's no way the creator is stalking or knew you right? Coincidence. 

"You're right." You said, taking a sip from your drink and watched as Sarah closed the book and suddenly frowned. 

"It's a shame though." Your eyebrows furrowed at the Sarah's words. Is she trying to insult you? 

"Shame?" You asked, offended by her words. 

"I'm not insulting you, I just don't want to spoil you! So just go and read it to understand what I'm talking about." Sarah realized how bad her words sounded and hastily explained herself to you. 

"Right right. Calm down you gremlin." You said, feeling relieved that she's not insulting you or whatever. Though being the petty person you are, you insulted her back. 

"You're the gremlin here, you're shorter than me. Mmmph, the audacity." Sarah gasped dramatically, huffing right after and glared at you. Of course it's all just a faux, a simple friendly banter. You and your friend can never seriously fight with each other. 

"Whatever you say." You laughed but grabbed the book anyways, "Can I borrow this?"

"Sure! Make sure to finish it and tell me what you think!" Sarah was back to her joyful attitude and clapped her hands, "Oh I'm so excited! I'm so happy you finally decided to read!"

She leaned in with vigor, making you back to your seat. This eagerness of her made you embarassed, this personality of hers just attracts people's attention and their stares. And you, being not used to it, wanted to hide under the table or a hole to swallow you. 

"Tell me who's your favorite ship and character too. That's your assignment." She whispered, placing a hand on your shoulders, almost gripping it. Her tone was serious, her stare was focused, she isn't kidding. 

"Since when did I become your student?" You raised your eyebrow, a smile blooming on your face. 

"The moment you picked the novel up my dear best friend." Sarah answered, a smile appearing in hers too. 

"Hmm, I'll make sure to do my homework then Teacher Sarah." 

"As you should." She laughed and finally settled in her seat with a satisfied aura surrounding her entire body. 

-

You admit, the book wasn't bad. It really isn't bad at all, everything was established, everything is balanced and well, it's good. It's a modern love story, not like the other medieval fantasy you have read before. The story is realistic, well as realistic a novel could be, and the characters have their own quirks and such. The plot, cliche as it was, was still a good read. 

For all it's worth. 

The title, thankfully wasn't long and descriptive but still had something to do with the book itself. The boys really did it all just to get the female lead. Not in bad ways though. 

The books had it's own points that you liked. 

The female lead wasn't a pick me girl and was strong in her own ways, she's cool and intelligent and that's the first point you like. Now you understand how she managed to make several boys to like and fight for her. Speaking male leads, the boys are well, typical. Some are cold, some are rebels, some are popular sweethearts though they're entertaining and has chemistry with the female lead that lead to such sweet scenes. 

Now you know how this book became popular to your fellow peers. 

If there are points that you like, there are also points that you didn't like. 

What is it? The side characters, the author didn't even consider giving them good ending. Like at all. Favoritism at it's worst you can say. 

In particular, remember the girl who had the same name as yours? She's a side character, the sworn friend of the female lead. Like any friends in any series, she's the side kick and also the famed matchmaker of the novel she's in. 

Y/n L/n, the sickly matchmaker, as everyone in the fandom would call her. You didn't have any say to her but it's just that the author is cruel to her. Like what? You made her do all the work in bridging the main leads and then not give her a good ending like the others? You just used her! 

In the end, Y/n L/n succumbed to her sickness and died. That death was then used again to make the female lead close to the male leads. Even her death is used as leverage! Wow, what a good thing! 

Where is the justice? 

God you wished that you won't end up like her at all. It would suck to live a life like hers. Serving and then dying when the job is done. 

Geez.