Photo Albums On the Counter

We were in the first week of July now. Chris and I had talked over the birthday thing and decided to just let it go. There was no use getting upset over it. To make up for it, he invited me to his family's 4th of July party. So I got a flight to Boston and he picked me up very incognito, in that we decided he should wait by the rental car place so it didn't look like I was here to see him. I got in before the paps were able to tell who was in the driver seat and he takes off, both of us laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. "That was beyond ridiculous. I thought you were given a break when you're at home here in Boston." I says as we get out of the airport. I turn around to make sure we're not followed.

"Typically yes. But anytime I have friends come to visit. And with us being public since the premiere, it seems you're all that they ask me about." I reach over and place a kiss on his cheek.

"Oh, well I'm so sorry that you have had it so hard." I say with a laugh and he joins in. We make it to his house and pull into the garage, making sure the door is shut before we get out. He helps me out of the car before pinning me against it.

"I missed you." He says before kissing me.

"I missed you too." I smile against his lips. "If this is how you react to not seeing me for a couple of weeks, maybe I need to disappear more often." I joke.

"You're not funny." He says after he pulls away and grabs my bag from the trunk. "Now before we go inside I need to warn you about the bullet."

"The bullet?"

"You'll see." He says before opening the door and a streak of white and brown zooms at me and almost topples me over.

"Oh ok. I get it. Hello Dodger. It's very nice to meet you." I say in that voice you talk to dogs in, petting his head as I get down on the floor. "Hey Bubba," I say and he plops down into my lap.

"Wow. Man's best friend my ass. He didn't even stop to say hello to me." Chris says, laughing in the kitchen.

"What can I say? You're old news. You were here this morning. I'm shiny and new." I say with a smirk.

"So the party tomorrow?" He says as we settle on the plushy couch in his living room.

"The party..." I say suddenly nervous. "Should I expect judgements and pitchforks?"

"I'm sure they're going to love you."

"That does nothing to comfort me. I feel like I'm being offered to the lions." I laugh nervously.

"You'll be fine. I've told Scott all about you already and he's dying to meet you."

I let out a shuddering breath. "That's good at least." I swallow the lump in my throat. This would be fine.

...

"I should've made like cupcakes or something. Wine seems too easy for meeting the family for the first time." I say as we walk up, the wine bottle I agonized over at the store the day before in Chris's hand.

"The wine will be fine. You're a guest. They won't expect you to have anything prepared. You did only get in yesterday morning." He says, rubbing circles into my shoulder to calm me. He lets us into the house and I can hear kids screaming in the backyard. Dodger immediately runs off to investigate and we follow into the kitchen where his family is gathered. "Mom, Carly, Scott, Shanna, Tara, this is Phoenix. My girlfriend."

"It's so nice to meet you all finally." I say with a warm smile. His mom immediately comes over, offering me a hug.

"It's nice to finally meet you too, officially. I feel like Chris did his best to hide you from us at the premiere. Call me Lisa." His mom says as she pulls back to look at me.