chapter 9

Valentina was past half of her clients. She had only seven left, eight including today's client. After the client of today, she would go to the United States to take care of the next six. Then she would come back for the last client here in Spain. She only had one and a half year left before she could go home and she was beyond excited.

She was currently in Venice, Italy. She had never been here before and she couldn't stop her eyes from moving across the beautiful city. She made the decision, then and there, that she would come back here soon. It was too beautiful to discover in just one day. She wanted to take her time with it.

She sighed before making her way towards her client's building. Venice was one of the only cities Valentina visited that didn't have high buildings and the business world overflow the old city. And she enjoyed the break. The break from the hectic places she visited for her clients. She enjoyed the silence more.

She stepped into the building and welcomed the coolness with open arms. The Italian air was dry and hot. Making Valentina sweat with just the littlest bit of exercise. She looked around the ancient building. She had seen on their website that they bought the building because it matched with the company.

This company sells frames for paintings or pictures and usually adds a few diamond details. It was a very popular company among the richer part of the population. In the past they had worked with her parents. Her parents would provide diamonds while this company would design a line of jewellery with their frames as inspiration. It was probably one of Valentina's favourite lines her parents had developed.

She made her way to the front desk. She didn't see anyone there. She looked around the lobby, trying to find somebody who could help her. She was completely alone in the lobby, she started to wonder if she had the right building.

"Ti chiamo più tardi." a female voice said from behind Valentina.  (I'll call you later)

She quickly turned around and saw a beautiful Italian woman walking towards the front desk with a phone in her hand. The woman took a seat behind the desk. She hadn't noticed Valentina yet.

"Excuse me?" Valentina said with a gentle voice, deciding to make her presence known.

"Oh dear, you scared the hell out of me." the woman said while holding her hand to her chest.

"I'm terribly sorry. I'm here for an appointment with Ms. Esposito. I'm Ms. VI." Valentina told the woman.

"Oh right, yes. I remember. You can walk towards the first door on your right. Just knock twice. She should be in there." the woman said with a kind smile.

Valentina nodded before making her way towards the hallway. The atmosphere that prevailed was much more relaxed in comparison to the other clients Valentina had visited. She was almost always greeted by a lady at the front desk who probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Never once had she experienced the laid back atmosphere that she found here.

She stopped in front of the first door on her right. It had a diamond on it with a name underneath. Just like every other door in the hallway. In this case it said Ms. Esposito. The doors were vintage looking, which added to the beauty of the building. She knocked twice, like the woman at the front had instructed her.

"Entrare." a female voice said from the inside.

Valentina assumed it meant to enter. So, she slowly opened the door and stepped inside. The room looked nothing like the usual offices she went to. It was more of a library with a desk and a big chair. One that looked quite comfortable. There was a couch as well and comfortable looking chairs in front of the desk.

"Ah, you must be Ms. VI." Ms. Esposito said before standing up and holding out her hand.

"Yes, nice to meet you Ms. Esposito." Valentina replied while they shook hands.

"Please take a seat, then we can discuss business." the boss said while gesturing towards one of the chairs.

Valentina listened to the woman and took her seat. She placed her bag next to her, in the other seat.

"So, tell me. What did you want to discus?" Ms. Esposito asked.

"I'm here with a proposition." Valentina replied confidently.

"A proposition? What kind?" the woman asked, curious.

"I will need for you to sign a NDA firstly. I wish for my identity to remain a secret until further notice." Valentina replied.

"Why do you think I would sign that without any proof of trust?" the wise woman asked.

"I don't know if you would sign. But, I do know you have an interest in working with Garcìa Jewellery again." Valentina replied.

"I see." the woman replied.

Valentina grabbed her bag and took out the NDA and the contract. She didn't know for sure if the woman in front of her would sign but she hoped for it. This client was one of the few she wanted most to agree. She wanted to design another line together, to honour her parents who always spoke highly of Ms. Esposito.

"You can read through the NDA if you'd like." Valentina suggested while sliding the NDA forward.

The woman nodded before grabbing the NDA and started reading. This gave Valentina some time to look around the office. She noticed the eye for detail and care. It was clear as day that the woman in front of her designed the office with a lot of care.

"Alright I'll sign it." the woman said and grabbed a pen.

She signed it before sliding it back over to Valentina. Valentina took the pen from the woman and signed as well before placing the NDA back in her bag.

"You can now take off your sunglasses." the woman said with a kind smile.

Valentina smiled back slightly before letting down her hair and then taking off her sunglasses. She shrugged out her hair before turning to the woman in front of her.

"I'm Valentina Garcìa, nice to meet you." Valentina said to the woman.

The woman let out a gasp before they fell into conversation. They didn't talk too long but they spoke a lot about her parents which Valentina found quite nice. After the woman signed the contract, Valentina left the building and went back to her hotel. While walking, her phone rang.

"Hello!" a chirpy voice said through the phone causing Valentina to frown.

"Uhm, hello?"

"It's me, Kelly! Rafael's sister and your new best friend, duh."

"Oh, hi Kelly. How are you?"

"I'm good. I promised I would call, so that's why I'm calling. How are you?"

"I'm pretty great. I just closed something and I'm in sunny Italy."

"Italy?!"

"Yes?"

"I've always wanted to go there. Maybe in the future." Kelly said, causing Valentina to laugh.

"Maybe."

"Oh shit, I have to go but we'll definitely talk soon."

"Talk soon." Valentina said before they said their goodbyes and hung up.

Just then, Valentina got a text.

Rafael: I hope everything worked out.

Valentina: It did. She was very enthusiastic.

Rafael: Good.

She smiled while shaking her head. He was a man of few words.