Prologue

The loud brass sound of his alarm clock bleating quickly woke the boy from his slumber. Bert's dyed hair was flattened to his temple on one side, while it stood on end at the other. It only took a couple minutes and some gel to spike it out scruffily over his head in the way he wanted.

He then shrugged a ratty band t-shirt, that was getting too small, over his head. He probably should've done that before his hair, whatever. He dragged his unwashed, hand-stitched, hand-patched jeans over his waist and left his room.

His mother was still sat, expressionless, in front of their outdated TV, in yesterday's clothes. Bert turned the corner into his kitchen, taking a pack of cigarettes and a sealed poptart. He slid one of the Marlboros between his open lips, walking back through to his sitting room. He reached over his mother's beat up leather armchair, dropping the poptart into her hands.

"Love you, Ma," He breathed as he planted a kiss on her cheek before making a dash for the door.

He picked up the scratched, metal lighter on his way out and locked the door behind him. His father's old work boots stomped against the floor as he ran to the car. Bert drove carelessly away from his house.

They'd agreed to meet at the Public Library at ten, so when he rolled up a half hour early, he was surprised the shorter boy was already there. Bert had a half burnt out cigarette his teeth, his car was hot boxed, and as he rolled the window to his car down all he could see was that bowl-cut bastard.

Bert spat his cigarette butt onto the floor as he pushed himself out his car door, greeting the boy opposite him with a creased smile.

"You know that's bad for your health," Will Byers crossed his arms in mock anger. Bert rolled his eyes as he approached him. Before either of them could speak another word they were wrapped around each other tightly.

Bert dipped his head into Will's neck. "You okay?" He asked, "No batshit monster chasing you?"

Will nodded, leaning against Bert's head. "I'm okay, we're okay."

But

                                               How Did

                                We

             Get

                                                 Here?