CHAPTER I

2024

Xirxine Northwest.

Latika Chokshi slithered into the conference room, nervously fiddling with the small card in her delicate hands. She looked around anxiously, sweeping her gaze over the group gathered there. The chairman and chairwoman were present, of course, along with Kory "Koko" Kohl, MacKenzie Payoray, Sarah Sahara, Damian Beelzly, Gustav Gray, his wife Camilla, and surprisingly enough, their 3-year-old (almost 4) daughter Savvira.

"Good morning, Ms. Chokshi," the chairwoman greeted her in a solemn tone. "Thanks for coming on such short notice."

"It's not a problem, Renee," Latika replied softly. She looked around again, forcing a smile onto her face. "Hello, everyone," she told the others. "It's nice to see you all."

"Guten tag, Ms. Chokshi," Gustav responded, his tone flat.

"Good morning, Ms. Chokshi," Sahara chimed in with a crisp nod toward the teacher.

Koko and MacKenzie gave their own warm greetings while Camilla gave a little wave and Damian just grunted.

"I see you brought the item of interest," the chairman stated once the pleasantries were out of the way, motioning to the card in Latika's hands.

"Oh. Yes, I... I have." Latika nodded.

"And you're certain it'll tell us where he is?" the chairwoman asked.

"Completely certain," Latika confirmed. "Here." She made her way over to the chairwoman and handed her the card. "He brought this to my house on Mother's Day," she told everyone else as the chairwoman examined the card. "He told me he would come home when it was necessary... or when he was ready. Whichever comes first."

"Looks like 'necessary' won the race," the chairman remarked dryly.

"So it would seem," Latika murmured, glancing at the chairwoman again.

The chairwoman remained silent for a moment. Then she took in a shuddering breath and let it out slowly. "Xishuangbanna," she said at last, looking around the room. "He's in Xishuangbanna."

Without hesitation, the chairman clapped his hands together loudly. "Alright! We have a destination," he declared. "Time to get moving."

P

P.O.V. – Gustav

It had been five years since the Holy War.

Five years since that monumental turning point in Safe Haven and the lives of everyone within it.

Gustav Gray felt like his life had been half-improved and half-shipwrecked during those years.

He had lost the one he loved, only to find in him a brother. He had been twisted and manipulated into fighting that same "brother", and then saw that brother twisted and manipulated into fighting him. He had watched that brother leave his home, overwhelmed with guilt and shame, presumably never to return.