Nadia's Day Off

Eve was someone to look up to, to admire like a painting. She was the role model of women and men alike. Most aspire to be just like her; calm, collective, meticulous, and strong. Just like every role model, she made sure to be just as perfect as everyone wanted her to be, always ready for a camera or a sudden question.

But sometimes… it was hard to keep up this personality. Every stick breaks and she knew that. What she didn't know was that she would be caught breaking.

It was a perfect spring day. The cold sky being a cool gray, the grass in patches on the sidewalk peeking, refreshing air, fresh winds; the perfect day for Mayday and Zuke to take Ellie for a walk. Mayday carried the tattered bookbag full of bags for… er… droppings and some dried meat sticks for Ellie.

"So," Zuke started, gazing at the sky. "Think we'll get rain again?"

"I hope not!" Mayday spat, groaning. "We don't need another leak in the sewers! That drip kept me up forever!!"

"I told you I fixed it," Zuke tried to call her down. She looked at him as if he just told her shoes were for hands.

"Yeah duct tape seems like a sure way to deal a water leak."

"It'll do until we get the time to board it up," he shrugged. "You wanna go to the Natura District? I heard it's really cool this time of year."

"Sure!" she nodded eagerly. "Ooooorrr… the metro!! Did you hear they're modeling their new spring wear line!? And they have a big blowout sale on any last minute winter merch and I NEED to have all of the 1010 beanies!"

"Ooooh no. I am not going to stand around and listen to you gawk about jacuzzis and parties and you fantasizing about living with them in their limo. Besides, the bright lights hurt my eyes…"

"Aww boo! Where would YOU go then?" she sighed.

"Maybe the Dream Fever," he smiled. "I heard they have new pieces out that symbolize the life of spring and the death of winter. You know, there's this one piece there that truly shows the pure intentions of every single blade of grass, how it would transition the once dreary cold landscape into a truly-"

"Boooooring!" she buzzed it out. "Come on, let's just go to the Plaza and grab some burgers then."

"Sounds like a plan to me."

They went to the Plaza, on their way to auntie when they saw someone in line, ordering.

"I'll take… two large fries, not salted, and give me a bacon burger. Add some tempura and… mm… a large cherry cheater soda," they ordered. The voice sounded familiar… but the duo couldn't put their finger on it. Auntie happily wrote down the order on a piece of paper and ripped it out, puncturing it on a needle stand.

"Okay, deary! It'll be done in five minutes!"

"Thank you."

They sat on a booth chair, slouched down. They had in sweatpants, what looked like worn out white sneakers, a ragged, stained hoodie that had the Dream Fever symbol on it. Any indication would've been the hands, but they were shoved into the pockets. But… they did sound female. Zuke assumed this was someone already in the city, just hard to see in the crowd.

"Yeesh, talk about a bad day…" Mayday thought out loud. The figure perked up at that.

"May…!" Zuke whispered in a hiss. "She heard you…!"

"Oh… hey you okay?" May decided to ask. They didn't move a bit for a minute or two, then they slouched back down.

"... Let's leave them alone," Zuke suggested.