Chapter 1

Inspired by Broken - Noelle Johnson

Eyes as cold as steel yet burning with undeniable heat.

The way they devoured me from a distance made my skin crawl. And yet, the feeling those heated gazes elicited was gratifying, and worst of all, craved.

I forgot what it was like to be wanted with such intensity that made the heart palpitate dangerously close to bursting. That made the swarm of butterflies turn feral as they fought to break through the debris they were buried under all those years ago.

As I moved around the office, making sure his stares weren't too distracting from meeting the deadline, I became too aware of every change, no matter how big or small, my body went through after giving birth to three beautiful children.

I automatically sucked in my tummy so it looked somewhat flatter than it was in reality, and straightened my shoulders as I concentrated on not falling face first in these heels and the pencil skirt I was wearing. My hand went to my unflatteringly dull brown locks, sitting rebelliously on top of my head as I sat down at my desk. I made sure my posture was picture perfect as I tried to regain semblance and chase the colour from my face by thinking of anything that would kill these embers heating my cheeks.

But the awareness of someone's unabashed attention on my blouse, which was too tight suddenly, made me glance up from the paperwork in front of me. I didn't expect to find his unflinching gaze still on me, nevertheless, the heat I victoriously subdued a second ago, returned tenfold.

What was it about today of all days that he decided to pay me any attention? But most importantly, why me? There were tens of other women who were younger and more beautiful, with a body not scarred from pregnancy and childbirth. With a firm ass and a perfect C cup, ready to bend to his will.

And then there was me. Hitting almost forty, with three children and a husband who looked for pleasure elsewhere rather than with the one he vowed himself to. With stretch marks and an extra layer of stubborn fat that didn't seem willing to part with me. Never having time to go to the hairdressers or take a bath in peace, let alone relax for just a damn minute.

Yet, he seemed to be determined to keep his penetrating interest known by never taking his eyes off me. Luck was also on my side as my desk was directly opposite his office and he had an open-door policy in place.

Tristan Hayes, the very definition of forbidden fruit and sin for unhappily married housewives such as myself. His presence stirred up quite a turmoil when he showed up one day and became regional manager of the company. Everyone expected the obvious choice, Sean Kinsella, to take the position since it was pretty much promised to him. But when Tristan's name left the boss' mouth at the meeting a couple of months ago, it didn't go down well. However, most of the people, meaning the female population of Stratton Recruitment, changed their minds about Tristan Hayes as soon as he stepped foot on the premises.