Prologue

Eight Years Ago-

"It amazes me how you keep blowing up," says Colton Anderson, eyeing me from head to toe, before his gaze stops on my food tray. I clutch it tighter between my fingers and his lips twist in a cruel smirk. "Well, my bad, I shouldn't be that amazed seeing how you eat for the whole school."

On cue laughter of my peers in the lunchroom follow, egging their king. I cower, wanting nothing more than to vanish from here.

I should've stayed in library.

"If this isn't enough, there's always dumpster to scour for some more food," Colton continues my humiliation. He steps closer into my personal space and leans down, our faces inches apart. His dark eyes meet my blue ones. "If pigs can do that, so can you. After all there's not much difference."

I hear oinking sounds in the background.

Tears brim my eyes but I hold them in. I won't give him the pleasure of witnessing my break down, again. Besides, my predicament isn't something new. I should be used to his bullying by now.

For two years since Colton joined Redwood High, I have been subjected to his cruel insults and harrowing pranks. No one questioned him as he relentlessly went after the fat loser of the school, and if by chance someone dared, they too were bullied into submission.

He is rich, tall, good looking and captain of the swimming team, so of course he gets to have some stupid power over the student body here. When he first joined school, it didn't even take him a month to climb to the top of Redwood's food chain. Yet, he still mercilessly toyed with someone at the bottom of the bottom- aka me.

I take a step back, needing space from him. I look for a way to flee, but I am surrounded by his cronies, which include his teammates and some cheerleaders. To me they resemble hyenas circling their prey.

Colton's girlfriend of the month and cheerleader vice-captain, Sarah Meyers, is also one of them. She's the only one who looks uncomfortable to be a part of this 'let's bully Avery' parade. It is a shame to see Sarah with them, to see her with Colton. She was one of the few people in Redwood who was friendly with me and treated me like an actual person with feelings. But like a never-ending vortex, that bastard has to take her away from me too.

Colton pulls me back with a painful grip. If not for my food tray between us, our chests would be touching. "Come on Porky," he says, making me shudder at the nickname he has given me, "it's too soon to run away now and stuff your face in toilet stalls. We're just getting started."

"Let me go," I almost plead, barely holding back the waterworks. He sure knows how to hit a nerve. I know I should stand up for myself. Fight back against the bullies. Yet I can't bring myself to. In front of Colton Anderson, I always feel pathetic, a fat loser and the biggest pushover. And I hate myself for it.

"I will never let you go Porky," he sneers, a sinister glint taking over his eyes, before he frees my hand.

Before I can move, food tray in my hand is flipped and its content land on my face and chest. A second later everyone's laugh surrounds me. I hear clicks of phone cameras and chants of 'Porky'.

"I guess today you have to make do with dumpster," Colton snickers before he strolls away with Sarah in his arms and his cronies behind him.

I don't bother wiping the tears. Colton Anderson did it again. Like always, he broke me.

******