13

Chris watched Evelyn rush away out of the kitchen to the bathroom in tears as he stood up from the couch. He went into the kitchen to see guilty looks on the faces of his mother and sisters, "what the fuck did you guys do?"

"Hey! Watch your language!"

He only glared at Lisa as he set his glass on the counter next to Evelyn's. "No! I brought her here because I care about her. I don't need your commentary about who you think she is when you don't even know her! She didn't have a normal upbringing or a real family. I thought it would be nice for her to be around one for once. If you can't be nice and keep your negative comments to yourself, I'll spend the rest of my time off at home alone with her."

"Chris... it's fine. I'm not going to take you away from your family."

Chris turned to see Evelyn was standing behind him her eyes red and swollen. He brought his hand up to her cheek, "I'm sorry sweetheart. They had no right."

She shook her head, "they didn't say anything to me. I shouldn't have been eavesdropping."

"Evelyn.."

She shook her head at Lisa, "it's fine." She pulled Chris off to the side, "this was a bad idea. I shouldn't have came. I'm just going to go home."

"What? No! You can't leave Evie. I love you, don't go."

She groaned, pulling her hand away from his, "I already called a car. I can't do this with you Chris, I'm sorry."

"Evelyn!" Chris followed her outside, watching her get into the back of a car before driving off. "Fuck!" He slammed the front door shut as he went back into the house.

"Chris, honey. I'm sorry. I never intended for her to leave."

He shook his head at Lisa, "she was already feeling insecure and you guys had to go and make it worse. You don't even know her and now you may never know her." He pulled his arm away as she tried to reach out to him but he pulled it away, "I'm just going to go home."

💋💋💋

Chris sat on his couch, calling Evelyn over and over again, hearing it go straight to voicemail. He groaned, resting his head on the back of the couch when he heard the front door open. He looked to see Scott come and sit next to him, "what are you doing here. You should be eating."

Scott shrugged, "I felt bad about your girlfriend."

"Yeah well, I'm not even sure she is anymore.."

"Come on. You don't think that's true, do you?"

Chris sighed, crossing his arms, "I don't know. It took a lot to get her here. She doesn't think she's good enough for me. And apparently neither does my family. So.."

Scott groaned, "that's not true. You know how over protective mom is of you with girls."

"I don't care. The fact of the matter is, she doesn't even know her, none of you do. You took one thing you saw on gossip tv and let that form an image of her without giving her a chance."

"Not me! I have an open mind."

Chris chuckled, "I know. You normally do. But the girls are catty and Evelyn is too sensitive for that." He shook his head, "I'm going to Georgia. I'm going after her. Watch Dodger for me?"

Scott shrugged, "yeah. Alright." He laughed as he watched Chris put on his shoes before grabbing his wallet, jacket and hat. "Bye?"

Chris turned back to him from the door. "I'll call you when I get there."

"Okay."

💋💋💋

Chris arrived at Evelyn's house late, knocking on the door. There were no lights on and she didn't answer the door. There didn't appear to be anyone home. He sighed, grabbing the key he knew she hid just in case, letting himself in. He looked around, still not finding her. He locked up, calling Scott as he drove to his own rental place he kept in town. "She wasn't home."

'What do you mean? Then where is she?'

"I don't know Scott!" He pulled into the driveway of his place, letting himself in to find it also empty. "Fuck." He hung up the phone on Scott as he tried to call Evelyn. She didn't answer so he left her a voicemail. "I need to know where you are sweetheart. I checked your house and my place in Atlanta. I can't find you. Can you call me back, please? I love you Evie."

💋💋💋

Scott heard Dodger barking at the front door just after getting off the phone with Chris. He opened the door to find Evelyn standing on the front porch as it started to snow. "Evelyn!" He ushered her inside as she sobbed.

"I tried to go to the airport, but I was recognized. I've just been wandering around and my phone died. Where is Chris?"

Scott laughed, helping her out of her coat and shoes. "He went to Atlanta to go after you. He thought you went home."

"He did?!"

Scott nodded, "yeah. He did. You're freezing. Why don't you go lay down and I'll call Chris."

She nodded, going to Chris's room, stripping down before pulling on one of his shirts and a pair of sweatpants of his. She crawled into his bed as she felt Dodger come up and lay down with her.

Scott paced as he waited for Chris to answer, "finally!"

'What is it Scott?'

"Evelyn is here, in Boston. In your bed. She just showed up here."

'What? I'll be there as soon as I can. Thank you.'