The Beginning

Luz POV

Today is the worst day of my life.

I was sitting down in the hospital where my Mom was getting treatment for a tumor she had in her brain. I don't know how she got it, one day we were just walking together and she suddenly collapsed. The doctors told us she had Stage 4 Brain Cancer, the tumor was spreading quickly and it somehow went unnoticed to all of us.

She began getting treatment immediately after the diagnosis and we've been back and forth to the hospital for about 6 months, until eventually the doctors wanted to keep her at the hospital for her safety. I was hoping that maybe by some miracle she would magically get better...Like how Azura managed to save her mentor from a curse that would've made her into dust! Maybe she would be okay!

But unfortunately, that's not how the story went.

My Mom got worse, her headaches got worst, she was throwing up almost every hour of the day, and she had blurred vision. She didn't even look like my Mom anymore...but...she still smiled and talked to me, even when I could barley look at her.

I sat outside the room that my Mom was in, she was surrounded by doctors and friends...I didn't want to go in there, instead I took out the Azura book that I had in my hand and began reading. This was the only way I could take my mind off of what was happening. After about 10 mins, a nurse came up to me and kneeled down to my level. "Luz" she said, I stopped reading, but I kept my head down. "Luz, your mother wants to talk to you". I looked up with a worried face.

I stood up and walked with the nurse who took me into the room. I saw doctors checking the monitors and whatever else they were doing. Then I saw her.

My Mom

She looked very pale, paler than usual. It was as if someone sucked the life out of her. She doesn't even look like the person in my phone now. "Luz?" I heard her say in a weak voice. "Yes Mama?" I said back, holding back any tears that may come out. "Why were you fighting with the girls again at school Mija?" She asked. I looked down, not wanting to give her an answer.

"Luz" She said in a questionable tone.

I looked back at her, "They were making fun of you again Mama...I just wanted to defend you" I told her, After I answered her, she looked at my eyes and smiled, "You're just like your Papa...always defending someone...". I remember what my dad was like. Funny, Goofy, Kind...but when he died, It felt like I lost everything...Luckily I had my Mom, making flowers for each other and visiting his grave...But right now it looked like history was going to repeat itself.

"Here Mija...I got you something" she said weakly. With whatever strength she had left in her body, she gently pushed a small box towards me, I picked it up, it was wrapped in purple, green, and yellow, the colors of Azura. "You open that box up when I'm gone ok?".

I was ready to break into tears, I tried to hold back any emotions that could come out. I wanted to be strong for her. I closed my eyes and looked down, refusing to see my mom in that state. "These nice people are going to take you to a place where there are kids like you, then...you're gonna find someone else to take care of you..." My Mom explained to me the best way she could.

An orphanage? They're gonna send me to an orphanage? I don't want that! They'll just pick on me just like how the other kids do! I don't want to leave! I don't want to lose my Mom! Why is this happening to me?!

"Luz..." I heard my mom quietly said, "take my hand". She offered her hand to me, I just couldn't process what was happening...I refused to look at her, I wanted my Happy Mom back. "Luz" I heard her say a bit louder, "Take my hand please..." she said with tears coming from her eyes. I froze and didn't do anything. Then the worst sound I ever heard in my life occurred.