Surprises

Either Poe Dameron had some serious pull in the Resistance's decision-making process, or you'd done incredibly well on your flight assessment because the very next day, Commander Dameron personally came to inform you that you were now officially a Resistance pilot. You clasped your hands together and pressed them to your mouth when he told you, trying to resist the urge to do a little happy dance. You couldn't help the little squeal of excitement that escaped your mouth.

Poe laughed, clearly enjoying your display of happiness. "You haven't even heard the best part yet!"

"What's the best part?" you asked suddenly, a nervous pit growing in your stomach despite knowing that this was good news.

"Well, Red Squadron just so happens to have an opening," he said before pausing, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "How would you like to fly Red Five?"

It took a minute for the news to settle in. Your eyes went wide, and you realized your mouth was hanging open. You started to laugh and finally let yourself do a tiny happy dance.

"No way. No way!" you cried. "You're joking!"

He just shook his head, smiling wide. The corners of his eyes crinkled up when he smiled that big.

"You know Luke Skywalker flew Red Five at the Battle of Yavin, right? And you're telling me I'm Red Five?" you laugh again in disbelief.

"I was hoping you'd pick up on that!" Poe said. The pride was evident in his voice. "A legendary callsign for a future legendary pilot."

"Almost as legendary as you?" you tease. "I've heard that you're the best pilot in the Resistance."

"Hey now," Poe said, holding up his hands as if to slow you down. "I wasn't the one who came up with that."

"Sure you weren't."

You weren't usually one to banter so easily with someone you'd just met, but Poe was different. Somehow, you felt like you'd known him your whole life even though you truly barely knew each other.

"Well, do you wanna see her?" Poe asked after you finished laughing.

"See who?"

"Your ship!"

You practically ran to the hangar, stopping short when Poe said, "There she is!"

The T-70 X-Wing had a red stripe painted on it. Slowly working your way around it, you let your hand trail over the ship, taking in every detail. A dent there, a scratch here. It was beautiful.

You place a hand on the ladder to the cockpit, glancing over at Poe as if to ask permission. He nods, and you scramble up into the seat. The ship is definitely sleeker than the old T-65s with some much-needed upgrades in the cockpit. You softly grip the stick, closing your eyes and breathing deeply. If only your dad could see you now.

"Whatcha think?" Poe asked. He'd climbed the ladder too and was practically hanging off the side of your ship.

"It's perfect," you whispered, still taking everything in. You could feel Poe's eyes on you, reveling in your happy moment.

"Well, I've got another surprise for you before Red Leader wants to run some drills with you to make sure you're mission-ready."

"Another surprise?" you laughed. "This is too much already."

"Too bad. You have to have another one," Poe laughed along with you before working his way down. "Commander's orders."

"Well, I suppose if it's orders, I don't have a choice," you teased, following close behind him.

As you make your way through the base, an orange-and-white blur zipped past you, narrowly avoiding tripping you up on its way to Poe. The droid beeped excitedly.

"Hey buddy!" Poe greeted his droid. "What's up? Is everything ready?"

You don't know much binary, but you caught a little of BB-8's message confirming that everything was, in fact, ready. He seemed really excited about whatever it is.

Poe just grinned at you as you kept walking. The faint sound of binary chatter grew louder as you reached your destination. Poe steered you inside a large workshop filled with droids, parts, and tools. A few mechanics fiddled around at various stations around the room. Finally, your attention landed on a small line-up of droids that BB-8 whirled up to.

"What's this?" you asked, looking over at Poe.

"You've gotta pick a droid to fly with!" he said proudly, gesturing to the group.

"But how in the galaxy am I supposed to pick one?" you ask, a little overwhelmed.

"You'll know," Poe assured you.

The droids ranged from ancient R2 models to a couple newer BB units. They all chattered excitedly. One blue-and-green BB unit just couldn't seem to contain its excitement, rolling forward toward you. You crouched down next to it.

"Hey," you smiled. "What's your name?"

The droid beeped happily, letting out a whole string of excited chatter. Unfortunately, you only caught bits and pieces, but thankfully Poe translated.

"She says she's BB-3C, and she hopes you'll pick her because she's new here, too, but that doesn't mean she's not good at her job. She wants to assure you that she's the best—" BB-8 chattered indignantly here, interrupting BB-3C's ramble. "I know, buddy," Poe responded with a laugh before continuing. "BB-3C would also like to tell you that she thinks you have a lovely smile." Was Poe blushing after that last bit? It was hard to tell.

"Well, Threecee," you said, laying a hand on her head. "Is it alright if I call you that?"

The droid beeped in the affirmative.

"Perfect. Threecee, would you do me the honor of flying with me?"

Threecee let out a loud whir of excitement, zipping several circles around you. You laughed as you stood back up.

"I think that's a yes," you said to Poe.

"We better get back to the hangar. Your new squad leader's anxious to meet you," Poe said.

You nodded. Your new friend Threecee followed you both out the door along with BB-8. You were a Resistance pilot. You were Red Five. You were ready.