chapter one: fresh starts

OPHELIA GREEN had quickly grown used to fresh starts

OPHELIA GREEN had quickly grown used to fresh starts. Oliver Green would constantly discover new business opportunities and act upon them without a second thought. As a doctor, he would open a new practice and build it up until he could find a new location and start fresh.

In the past five years, she had been to London, Paris and a small town in Greece and Oliver had finally decided to settle down in the small town of Avonlea. Ophelia and her brother, Sam, had only learned about the move a couple of days before their departure so they didn't get an opportunity to say their goodbyes to anyone. It didn't bother them that much though because they knew it was coming at some point.

Ophelia looked out the carriage window and frowned at the sight of the frost covering the grass. When they were in Greece it was still warm even at this time of year, she knew it would be like this she just wasn't particularly fond of the idea.

When they had arrived at the house Sam and Ophelia both shared a look when they noticed the size was smaller than the last place they had lived in, it was probably just how the town was though.

"You two can go ahead and choose your rooms, except for the largest one," Viola smiled at the two.

Suddenly Sam began to run towards the door forcing Ophelia to run after him. They navigated the upstairs halls when Ophelia ran into a room with a large window looking out onto a tree that she assumed would be something of a colourful variety when spring came around. In the distance, she could see what looked like a hill leading down to a smaller lake.

"Oh, this one is mine," Ophelia grinned at her brother who groaned.

"Fair enough," he said after a bit before turning to go to the other room which was equal in size it just didn't have as nice of a view.

Ophelia left Sam to do his thing and her eyes went wide at the sight of three people moving her thing into the room she had just selected moments before. The girl looked at the three for a moment or two as they completely ignored her presence causing her to turn around and head downstairs.

"Mother, what would be happening in my room right now?" Ophelia questioned as she walked over to where her mother sat, her arm resting on Oliver's knee.

"What do you mean?"

"There are people in there touching my things," Ophelia stated.

"Oh, we just figured it'd be nice to have some extra help. It gives you more time to focus on your studies and be a kid," Viola told her with a kind smile. "I promise they aren't here to be a burden."

"Ophelia, darling, why don't you go change into something a bit cleaner. Your mother has been sending letters back and forth with another woman here and the two of you are scheduled to join them for tea in a short while," Oliver encouraged.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" She looked down at the blouse, sweater and pants she was wearing. It was a very traditional style in Paris and somewhat similar to the attire seen in Greece. She didn't see a problem with it.

"It isn't very traditional here, we want to make a good first impression after all, no?" Oliver asked his daughter.

"No, we wouldn't want that at all." Ophelia hesitantly agreed before passing the maids who had just finished putting away her belongings.

Ophelia selected a lilac dress with puff sleeves before carefully putting it on and fixing her hair which had gotten messed up from it resting against the seat on the train.

Once she was satisfied she walked down the stairs and was met by her mother at the bottom of the stairs who quickly handed her a pair of white lacey gloves. She gratefully accepted them and put them on, along with her coat.

Before she knew it the two were sitting in their coach as the coachman drove to the destination, in what felt like minutes they approached a large house similar to their own.

"I would've let you stay back at the house but she has a daughter your age so I thought it'd be nice for you to get to know someone for when you start school," Viola told her daughter before gently knocking on the large door.

Ophelia stood and made sure her posture was good so that she didn't get insulted as soon as the door opened. It swung open revealing a maid who quickly invited the two in and lead them to the parlour.

"Oh, how nice it is to finally meet you," A dark-haired woman shook Viola's hand politely before turning and smiling at Ophelia.

"As to you Eliza, this is my daughter Ophelia," Viola placed a hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Ophelia. Diana, will you please come down?" Eliza called.

A girl that looked to be the same age came down the stairs with a smile on her face. She brushed off her dress before looking up with a smile on her face.

"Diana, dear, this is Ophelia, she'll be going to school with you," Eliza quickly introduced the two. The two girls waved at one another before being dismissed to Diana's room.

"May I just say, I love your accent," Diana complimented as they sat on the edge of her bed.

"Thank you, I suppose. So, how do you think everyone will be when I start at school?" Ophelia questioned nervously.

"Oh, everyone should love you. Especially my one friend Anne, she loves to use big words so don't be startled by that," Diana told her.

"You think it'll be easy to settle in?"

"Well, yes, I mean. . . we can be friends if you'd like?" A smile suddenly appeared on Ophelia's face.

"I think that would be nice," Ophelia agreed, feeling like the weight of not knowing anyone was lifted off of her. Maybe this move would be different.

 Maybe this move would be different

ivy's notes:

i always hate my first chapters but slaying ig