Chapter 3

The bass reverberated around the room causing Y/n's chest to buzz and she winced, feeling her ears soak up the vibrations. She had almost forgotten what it was like to be at an event where the music was so loud she could barely hear herself think. The room was darkened and packed with celebrities, all drinking, dancing, and conversing with one another.

Y/n wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. Every single time she had gone to one of these things, she had someone with her that she could at least cling to for companionship. Tonight she was on her own and she hated that. The artist spotted the bar towards the back of the room and headed for it, eager to get herself a drink to hopefully loosen up a bit.

The bartender handed her a beer and she turned around, leaning back on her elbows as she took a sip of her drink and scanned the crowd. Thankfully, she spotted someone she knew and headed towards them, asking the bartender for one more beer before she walked away.

"Y/n? Wow, I can't believe you're here!"

Y/n grinned at the slightly taller man and handed him the unopened beer, "Shawn Mendes. I thought I recognized your face from across the room. I swear you get taller every time I see you."

The curly haired brunette threw his head back, laughing as he opened his bottle.

"That's a lot coming from the woman who actually does grow every single time I see her. What are you? Like 6'2 now?"

"6'1 and a half, but I'll let your mistake slide, Mendes."

Shawn laughed once more and threw his arm around her shoulder as they continued catching up. It had been months since the last time they had talked, the last time being when they had met up in the studio in LA to work on Y/n's album. In fact, he had been there when Y/n had penned 'Treat You Better', the man adding in a couple verses of his own to Y/n's notebook that had made the final cut.

The two had been good friends since she had seen him live, opening for Taylor Swift's 1989 tour back in 2015. They had met backstage, exchanging contact info to write together soon, but hadn't actually started talking until a year later. He was a great friend and a talented musician, often being Y/n's go to when she got stuck on certain projects, or when she had needed a quiet night out and a drinking buddy.

Shawn turned his head when he heard his name being called and Y/n managed to catch a glimpse of the woman as she leaned in to hug Shawn. As she let go, Y/n's heart fluttered in her chest as she made eye contact with those warm, brown eyes.

"Y/n, I don't think you've met one of my best friends. This is Camila."

Camila looked up at the tall woman, shyly smiling and she extended her hand in greeting, the other artist taking it in her hand and shaking it gently.

"I'm Y/n...which you already knew because Shawn just said my name..." Y/n blushed, laughing lightly at her awkward introduction. She rubbed the back of her neck nervously, a tick that she always did when she felt uncomfortable in a situation or was embarrassed. She couldn't explain why she felt a bit giddy and anxious around the shorter brunette, but she hadn't gotten off to a good start, whatever the reason.

Camila let out a giggle of her own as she let her hand fall back to her side, "I know who you are. Your performance was really good, I wish I could've seen it, but I was backstage in my dressing room. I saw some clips on instagram though...not that I was stalking you! I just mean...I'm just going to stop talking now."

Shawn looked between the two musicians and smirked at them, before grabbing his beer off of one of the glass tables.

"You know what, I think I see a person...someone I know, like right over there!" Shawn pointed in a random direction, making his escape quickly and waving at an imaginary person on the other side of the room.