Chapter 13

Bomber was waiting by the front door as I came down the hallway. His arms crossed and his head hanging down as he studied his feet with great interest. I hadn't been expecting him to be waiting for me as I came out of Lethal's office, but against every sensible thought I had, I was relieved to see him there.

His head shot up as I approached, his face still stern as it was earlier. Thankfully, I could feel that I had a few more reservations than earlier. I was warier of him, even as his eyes raved over me in what appeared to be concern. The blood on my ear was drying now, but it was still there and I wasn't the only one aware of it as his eyes darted slightly to where he had cut me. His face only tightened further, his lips pulling at the scar on his face and he winced. It was the same wince I'd seen him do a number of times and it always accompanied a floating look of pain on his face. Was it because of the cut? Or something else?

"Well?" he asked, despite his sternness, his voice was still much softer than his brother's.

"I um- I know what I have to do now." I held up the papers that Lethal had given me as a reference to what I would be looking for in Collin's dad's office.

Bomber was silent for a moment and then he nodded sharply, "Good, good. And my brother?"

"He seems to be satisfied for now. Although, he gave his fair share of threats." I surpassed a shiver at that.

While Bomber and Vinny's threats were terrifying, there was something scarier about Lethal's. It was clear from our interaction that my safety, my wellbeing, was the absolute last thing on his mind. Of course I was the best way to the files right now, but that was only temporary security at best. He wouldn't need me after that, and if I proved useless in my task he could always find another way to get the job done.

"Come with me." Bomber instructed without room for complaint and like a newly trained puppy I trailed after without question.

I was stupid. I'd realized that as I let this man stab the wall besides my head. I'd always considered myself a head strong, competent young woman. I was level headed and a goddamn bio-med major. My mother was a nurse and my father was a lawyer. I'd been raised with a backbone and I'd never let a man walk all over me in my life. My friends has always considered me harsh when it came to the men that I saw, but I never saw it that way. The way I saw it was that if a man seemed aloof then I would be too. If wasn't interested then I'd be upfront about it. As for any man that thought he was going to play games? I'd make sure that game was rained out.

So why was it that when it came to Bomber I acted like a a doormat. With his back to me I straightened my spine and lifted my chin a little. I would be strong this time. I wouldn't be afraid.

He led me to the bathroom that he'd brought me to to shower after Randy was killed. He stepped aside to let me in first and then followed. He didn't reach to turn on the light and so the only illumination was a sliver of light from the hallway.

"Why are we in this stinking place again."

"Mmmm, remember when you were here last? Your pouty little face drove my crazy."

"Are you serious right now?" I refused to break. I refused to lean into his teasing. He was trying to break the tension, but it was tension that he had made. That should have been there anyway.

"Does this bathroom suck you dry of any humor? Because I'm noticing a pattern." he asked as he raised an eyebrow at me.

No, that's just you. I wanted to say, but I didn't reply. I let the silence hand around us for a moment. Bomber grew somber again the longer he looked at me.