1 ↬ ᴛʀᴜᴀɴᴄʏ

Dirty - grandson

~<>~

Adrian Chase was not a rule breaker.  He never smoked, he never cut class, he never jaywalked.  He never even cheated on tests.  He was a good boy, and he was often considered 'a snitch.'

Because of this, unfortunately, Adrian made himself a target to many.  Along with his innate need for justice, he was kind of a nerd.  Singled out by anyone he had reported for theft or lighting up in the bathrooms, and anyone who just wanted to beat on someone they wanted to see as less than them.

It didn't help that he was pretty scrawny.  The boy had grown to a sizable 5'11, but the rest of his body hadn't caught up yet, leaving him awkward and uncoordinated. 

Also, he still looked like his mom dressed him.

Another thing he was, was your best friend.  And you were his.

Often times, this meant you talked people down for him (he often made things worse) or patched him up if you couldn't.  He always healed pretty well, which he accredited to you, but you figured his body was just used to taking hits.  At the ripe age of 17, Adrian wasn't very strong at all, so he wasn't winning many fights.

Still, best friend or not, that didn't mean he wasn't suspicious of your lack of attendance at school.  It wasn't right of you.  It was the wrong thing to do.

He had to set you on the right track. 

"I think I ate something bad last night," you groaned at lunch for the third time that week.  On a Wednesday.  "Will you let me know what I miss?"

"Are you sure?  We have that test next period you might not want to miss," Adrian reminded you.

You shook your head.  "I think I'd take makeup work over embarrassing myself by hurling in class."

"Maybe if you take a few minutes to sit down in the office? Grab some ice?"

"Unfortunately I don't think ice is the best cure for a stomach ache. I'll try to start carrying peptobismol."

Slowly, almost exaggeratedly, you picked up your things and collected them together.  Shooting a cordial wave to Adrian, you walked off to the front doors to leave.

When Adrian skipped school to follow you out the doors five minutes later, he wrote it off as 'for the greater good.'  He didn't really think about how what he was doing wasn't right, either.  He was using a wrong to make a right.

You drove off in your red sedan, and Adrian followed just slightly behind in his gray one, often doing his best to leave a car between you. He watched you take a (dangerous and illegal) rolling stop and turn into the parking lot of a little cafe.

"What the fuck?"

He staked you out, waiting for you to leave. He couldn't believe you were skipping school to buy baked goods. Not only were you breaking rules, you'd never even shared with him.

It was downright criminal.

When you left ten minutes later, instead of a muffin, however, you carried a wad of cash. You walked briskly, checking behind you, and hopped back into your car.

Adrian continued to follow you, going so far as to park while you drove through the pharmacy pickup. Selling drugs, maybe? Doing drugs? Adrian's mind immediately assumed the worst, despite a smaller part of him arguing otherwise.  It really wasn't your typical character.

You were back on the road again, now heading in a direction he had never gone before. It was off of a dirt road, and a rather bumpy one at that.  He had to follow far behind, certain if you were ever going to catch him it would be now.  Not a single other soul was taking this road. Adrian couldn't imagine why anyone would even want to.